Argo roller chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo roller chain

Argo roller chain

I have a 1979 Argo and am looking to replace the roller chains on it.
    What is everyones opinion on buying stainless steel vs say a cheaper anti corrosive chain vs standard chain?
    I plan to take the argo out on the water quite a bit, but wont be doing much driving in mud puddles or dusty areas.
    Does it pay to go with the stainless steel?
    Also any ideas what type of chain I would need to buy for a 1979 argo T base model?
    I think it is just #50 but wasnt sure on pitch and roller diameter ect. It currently has KCM50. Also any ideas on some good sites to buy chain would be great.
    Thanks everyone.

stainless chain is good for food grade applications but is soft so it wears faster than a regular steel chain. Hydro chain is a steel chain that has been galvanized so it shows rust slower but wears the same. heavy duty chain does not have the typ. narrowing of the side plate it has a little more tensile strength but mainly is good for shock loads. A regular good steel chain is what you need like Diamond chain and you can find good deals on Ebay.

So it sounds like a normal steel chain is the way to go. Is there a certain tensile strength or load bearing strength that is recommended?
    Thanks

In a wet /corrosive environment we use nickel plated chain.

RS Roller Nickel-Plated Chains On U.S. Tsubaki Inc.

Is nickle plated chain softer than normal steel chain then?

I think it would be the same.

For the roller chain that goes from the transmission to the drive axle I have a 40-2. Is it ok to use riveted chain or does it need to be a specific type? I saw some cheap diamond usa chain on ebay, but it says it is riveted. Wasnt sure if that is what should be used.
    Thanks

riveted chain is fine and Diamond is good chain.

+ Reply to Thread