kohlers motor identifying

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: kohlers motor identifying

would it be dumb to run a jack shaft setup to run the same size crank and then get a 1 inch clutch because gears are cheaper then clutches?

You have to remember the RPM that the motor runs at.......If you have the room for a jackshaft, and don't mind the inherent losses, I'd go with a V-belt/pulley setup instead of chain.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    You have to remember the RPM that the motor runs at.......If you have the room for a jackshaft, and don't mind the inherent losses, I'd go with a V-belt/pulley setup instead of chain.
    Why would you suggest v belt instead of chains?

Speed of the chain. Roller Chain, Oven Pin Chain, Agriculture Chain | Diamond Chain - Indianapolis, Indiana Diamond recommends a lube oil pump for high speed chain drives, and this will cause a lot of oil sling (big mess).
    The other option is what motorcycles have gone to "O-ring" chain. #530 would replace #50, but it does have a wider outside dimension. Some motorcycles have also gone to belt drives. Talk to a motorcycle expert and I'm sure they can let you know the advantages/drawbacks of each.
    On the other hand, I've seen hundreds of industrial drives where high speed reliability is important, and not a one has ever been chain. Usually they will use multiple "V" belts for high horsepower applications.
    Also consider the chains "chordal" action, when the chain rises on the tooth and then falls to the groove. This is why a chain must not be too tight. If the chain is too loose, it will skip teeth/ wear tooth tips off etc. The faster the chain is moving, the harder it will be to have it tensioned properly at all times.
    I can think of lots of reasons why a V-belt would work better, and only one drawback....it could slip if it got wet. But, the clutch belt will do that also, so you're not really any worse off......

still thinking about how to make this work on the cheap end.. my dad had an idea like this and then happen to run across this again on a go kart forums.. anyone see something like this as a bad idea turn the crank down a little short and then make an adapter to fit a 1ich clutch?

It probably would work just fine......BUT, I wouldn't trust the set screws to hold it on. I would want the bolt holding the clutch on to go through the adapter into the crank.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    It probably would work just fine......BUT, I wouldn't trust the set screws to hold it on. I would want the bolt holding the clutch on to go through the adapter into the crank.
    thats what i was thinking little more beef but going to 1inch might be hard to get the bolt threw out....

That design sort of concerns me. I would think between the torque that engine puts out, and the additional leverage on the crank bearings due to how far out the clutch will be sitting, you would be risking epic failure of aforementioned bearings.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

hi ,
    Bang for buck would be a new crank with a 1 inch end [if available in that size }
    A new crank will tighten up the tolerances on the rod and main journals
    NB If u choose to go this route I would measure up the journal bores in the block and front cover They r expensive to repair if worn out

tomo

Thanks guys for the concern I was considering a bearing at the end of the shaft for support. Not sure of wha route ill be going if I even use it

+ Reply to Thread