Richards Relics Engines

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Richards Relics Engines

Richard may be straight forward and sound rude on the phone but He has always had what I needed when I couldn't find it else where. Yes I think his prices are a little high but again he has what you need and has been willing to make sure I was getting the right part. There are better prices out there and I try to find the best deal on everything. I usually call Richard as a last resort but I have never been dissatisfied with the parts I have bought from him.

To set an engine up for use in an aatv is not complicated. You put a different governor spring on and adjust your air fuel mixture as well as your idle. Some people think if they spend more on the same parts as everyone else, their parts must be better. That is not always true. I am in marketing by trade. I even got a degree in it, and most of the time marketing is why you pay more. This community has done a great job showing new members where to buy commodity and universal items needed to build, maintain, and repair their machines for as low cost as possible. It does a great job steering people away from rookie mistakes like cheap Chinese bearings and chain as well as purchasing from places that provide poor customer service. I don't know why anyone would say "Your better off just paying more for the same thing." Of coarse I never thought spending well beyond your personal means was a good idea either and yet many people in this country have gone that route to the point of bankruptcy. I don't suggest drinking that kool aid either. It just doesn't make sense. You may not always be able to get the best price on something, but you certainly should never pay more than msrp.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

www.argoadventure.com/...ur-diesel.html

This is the link that Drew was trying to post...He had the http// there twice so that is why the link did not work.

Price of belt for centur was $47 plus change....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Hey everybody, I didn't expect people to get into arguments about this. Everybody has a right to their own opinion, and I will make up my own mind about things. This seems to be a real sensitive subject and I do appreciate everbody's opinions. So if somebody has something negative to say they can PM me about the person about who they have negative opinions about. This is America where we have a right to express what we feel but we need to respect each other as we do it. We have a great site here. Lets keep it that way, and respect all opinions. I don't think Drew was being slanderous, just stating what he felt about pricing. Everybody relax and enjoy what we have here.
    Thank You everybody for all your links and connections to other engine sites.

I'm new here and learned early on the kind of fervor that mentioning RR can bring on. Personally, the accusations that he's only in it for the money don't carry much weight with me. Of course he is. We're into it for the fun and since it pays his bills, he's into it for the money. I charge for my time when I do my job even though there are hobbyists who do it for the love of it. What turns me off about his site is what we in the computer biz call FUD. Its a technique that people used to attribute to the old time IBM sales guys who would say "Sure, you can buy that Amdahl machine and they say its faster and cheaper and 100% compatible, but what if it isn't and you have to explain why it doesn't work to your boss the day before the quarterly reports are due." FUD is Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. So if RR said on their site, I buy the engine, I change the governor spring and re-tune the carb and I know what I'm doing so its worth the $200, I can make an informed decision. Instead he tries to instill FUD in my purchasing from anyone else with vague references to how these engines need some secret sauce that I can buy from him or risk disaster. I don't respond well to that.

Not that I'd rule out buying from him. If he's got the part I need and I don't want to wait, I'll be handing my money over.

I used to always at least give him a shot and price his parts,But always found them somewhere else cheaper.The last part was a Briggs Y exhaust manifold,Richard quoted 110.00 and I literally told him that was insane for a used part.I ended up buying one from Roy Padgets Small Engine Warehouse for like 40.00.Have not called since that was 7-8 years ago.

I called yesterday for an axle for 94 max2 $135. That sound high?

Quote Originally Posted by Normable1973 View Post
    Yes, for a pinned axle, which is basically a piece of round stock with a hole drilled in it and a hub on it, that seems very high. It's probably cold rolled steal as well and not anything good. You are much better off buying new from RI or used from a forum member.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Quote Originally Posted by Normable1973 View Post
    $135 is ridiculous. I'll bet you can get a good used OEM Recreatives one for $100 less than what he's charging from someone here on 6X6World. And like Drew said, Clark is most likely using a cheap, low grade steel that will bend or break after a little use.......it's happened to many other forum members that have bought axles from him.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread