First hello everyone new to 6x6 ut I got a hustler and need help !!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First hello everyone new to 6x6 ut I got a hustler and need help !!

First hello everyone new to 6x6 ut I got a hustler and need help !!

I got what it says a hustler 954 that's been sitting in a barn , motor is a kohler 341 16hp , it runs pretty good , but the problem is the linkage for the forward and reverse is gone , someone tried putting 3/8 threaded rod to both sides and up to the front , it does not work , I adjusted it for hours and it binds up . Did get it in forward and drove around the yard , question does anyone have a pic of this linkage , can I still get this parts , also is the 16 hp big enough for this ? And if I start tearing down can I get parts for it ? Thanks a lot il take any help

Hey man , the 16 hp kohler is plenty of power & you can still get parts for it. Where are you located ?

Delavan il

Welcome to the site Gratt. Your Hustler 945 is a fine machine and should make you very happy. Unfortunately Hustler went out of business so for model specific parts you are looking at finding used or custom made ones. The good news is; most parts are generic and/or simple so it usually is not a problem.
    For your shifter mechanism, you could start a new thread in the wanted section to find a factory stock one or just make one yourself. Here is a split shifter I did on a MaxII
    Your binding may not be in the linkage. Often it is actually caused by debris in the diamond shifter hole. Pull your shifters, clean them and the bore, then reinsert with some grease....It may just do the trick.

Delavan Il. is close to the Badlands. Here is a thread on last Septembers ride there. Hopefully we can do it again this year. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trail...r-14-15-a.html

Ok first I'm a tractor guy I have 10 old garden tractors I'm restoring , 2 4x4 kubotas , but now 6x6 I'm getting hooked and I have no room !! Lol ,, ok the shifting looks easy to make but I need to understand that shifting , is it simple the ears on bothsides both need to go back or forward at the same time ??? I looked at pics and seen some that were , one side was forward the opposite side was the ethier way ,, how's it work ? Also I saw a 70,s Argo for sale with a 440 snowmobile engine in it ,, nice shape , are they good machines ? Thks guys for your help

I replied on the older Argo in your other thread...

Watch this video, it will explain split shifting http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...t-shifter.html

The t-20 is actually 2 transmissions in one case allowing for independent control. You can put one side in forward and the other side in reverse.

Ok I'm starting to understand the t20 , the Argo the guy wants to trade me for a Yamaha gas golf cart , I'm riding in basically farm country , I'm going to try to post a pic , so this wouldn't be a good trade , it looks pretty clean , but a 2 stroke ?

If it is in good condition,it doesnt take much to transplant a 4 cycle into it.

Or drive one of your lawn tractors.
    I say go with the 2 stroke and drive it like you stole it ......way more fun.

Hey Gratt,unfortunatly I don't have any pic's of the original rod of the shift linkage but let's try this,

The vertical pcs of flat bar with the hole in them,a rod with tabs welded to it went between them. 2 tabs sticking up,in line with the diamond shifters and one tab pointing down.

Here is a pic of the lever that bolts to the frame rail at the drivers feet and the pc of flat bar that goes to the down tab. The "green" one is the original with it's connecting bar,the other is a duplicate for the split shift my Hustler will receive.

Here is a pic of my rod mechanism. It's clamped up to a pc of flat bar to weld the "tabs" on. The two close together ones go up to the levers.

Here is a link to my Hustler rebuild photo album if your interested in more pics.
    http://www.6x6world.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=821
    Joe.

+ Reply to Thread