Avenger water traveling

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avenger water traveling

Avenger water traveling

Hello. I've rode my Avenger in a creek a few times now. I'm not impressed with the speed, nor the turning ability. Lack of turning ability I understand.
    Please help me with the best water speed...
    Which gear is best?
    What throttle setting is best?

To add... My Avenger came with Rawhide III tires on the rear two axle pairs (back four tires). The front two axle pairs have Dirtdevils IIRC. Of these eight tires the front tires alone are driven in the normal direction (dirtdevils). I figure to help with going through different terrain best because these are the first tires to roll over the up coming terrain. The other six are backwards I'm told for best water speed.
    Is this the correct way?
    Should I turn the fronts backwards too?
    Thank you.

Water travel

We have two 8x8 Argos when we got them the tires where on backwards ( wrong sides of machine ) they have the run a mucks with the v pattern the were installed with the narrow point coming forward first, we tried them that way in the water and got almost zero movement forward, in fact to move in water you had to use reverse. We turned them around and it made all the difference and we could turn also. Now with the argo
    Tracks on water travel is very limited. If you need to do much water travel a outboard
    Is the way to go. We use a five horse Honda four stroke and navigate flooded rivers very well

Water travel on any aatv is very limited. It is a great thing to be able to just drive into the water, but there is a trade off. Like stated an out board is best. Second best is a high thrust trolling motor. I am going with a small outboard myself. I have an extension pole that I can control the throttle and shift from the front seat.

Changing the front tires around and running them backwards should have a very minimal effect on your water speed. I wouldn't bother. On an Avenger, the rear tires sit the highest out of the water and provide you with the most propulsion. Having them mounted backwards like you do is correct. Really the limiting factor is the tire type that you have. The Rawhide III's are an all-around good tire but their water speed is less than other tires. If you purchased the newer Argo tires you would double your water speed to somewhere in the 4mph range. There are some threads in the tire forum on the 25" Argo Avenger tires (AT189) that detail water speed verified by GPS that may be of interest to you.

Here is one: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...html#post35529

Your trouble is that the Dirt Devil tires don't swim. I would agree with Mike that the front tires on an Avenger sit low and probably don't do as much as the rear tires, I believe the wrong tires will still hurt performance. You need eight swimming tires to move you at top speed. Don't forget that top speed is quite slow so anything working against the vehicle will really hurt it. I've had 6x6s with non-swimming tires that would actually move the vehicle backwards in water. Not only are the Dirt Devils not helping you swim, they might actually be working against you.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Thanks for the info.
    The Dirtdevils do have a V pattern, so I was hoping they would help. Its all I have for now.
    I do want to buy a troller motor but funds are very low right now which is why I was looking into improving tire speed.
    Thank you.

Hummm? Let me go against the grain here. Cbass was running a 25 inch Dirt devil on a 9 inch Mudd Ox rim on his MaxII at Busco Beach. He ran the front tires forward,and the four back tires with the 'V's pointed to the rear of the machine. Now his machine didn't break any records but it did swim very well, in fact he passed me in the water so I know the machine swam. You can see his MaxII in this video at the 2:52, 4:41, 5:10 mark. It has also been my experience that tires swim a little different on every machine, please keep in mind that on a MaxII with 25" tires the machine will float higher in the water, higher floatation =equals more water speed.

So Rusty, I would take the two tires on the right and put them on the left so that the V's are backward or facing the rear of the machine, then I would put 4 pounds of air in all the tires and try again, I am willing to bet you will see a good difference in swim speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giKBA7HMO4A
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 07-13-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Yes, tires do swim different on different machines. The 25" inch , Mud Bug tires mounted on Mudd-Ox rims didn't swim very well on brushcutter's Hustler 950, but on Noel Woods Max II the Mud bug tires swam over pretty good.

Thanks guys. I will reverse all tires. I need all the speed I could get with what I got.
    I will also buy a few paddles. I can store them along the side of the machine.
    Once I get enough money I will buy a troller motor.

+ Reply to Thread