1999 conquest clutch / belt issue

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1999 conquest clutch / belt issue

1999 conquest clutch / belt issue

What is the distance between centerline engine out put shaft to center line trans input shaft??
    Problems... bucking under heavy strain as in up hill, steep hill, I run with 3 other argos, we all assist each other in engine, clutchs, all different improvements to argos & like to compare performance in each. We have a test "hill" to compare performance. mine in high range, will not go up unless I pour the coal to it, all others go up in high gear no problem. Mine bucks, burns belts, only on hill, flat trail OK.
    History, I owned argo conquest for 4 years, replaced both clutches 3 years ago, moved driven clutch spring to hole # 1, big improvement, tear down primary clutch often to clean, inspect, changed spring last fall, changed belts with new argo belts about once a year.
    So, after brother & I took both of his clutches & belt off his machine, put them on mine, it did not make any difference, well maybe alittle at first, I had to use more throttle that he does with his machine, the bucking was not too bad at first, but will be if I attempt the hill a couple more times.
    SOOO, we measured crankshaft to trans input shaft. (outside shaft to outside shaft, just reference)
    My distance is 16 inch, good running machine is 16 5/16,
    Good running machine = belt removal snug
    Bad running machine = belt loose & comes off easy
    SO, I called local argo shop for info or dimension, am waiting for reply.
    Any ideas ?
    Right now I pulled the transmission, checked trans & frame bolt holes for oblong, nothing worth noting, or nothing that would make the trans move towards the motor over a quarter of an inch?? I'm gonna put a wrench to the motor mount bolts in the morning just to check something while I got her tore down,
    Throw some ideas at me while I got it tore down & can see everything,

hi ,
    not trying to solve your specific application but here is my experience.
    I am sure there is an argo owner or even ODG will come with direct answers .
    In my experience a loose belt will engage in a higher gear and make hill climbing terrible
    I also had a choice of 2 centre to centre distances 12.5 inches nominal
    13.00 suggested by another very knowledgable source
    U guessed it the the alternate source was correct
    A side note is the smaller cen to cen distance was very easy to remove belt TO EASY
    The larger cen to cen distance as I have learnt now is more the ""normal "" belt is a little tough to remove

This may help or give u ideas
    I would wait for ODG advice

cheers tomo

Perhaps something loose or a cracked weld or two?

Joe.

Here are some tips from Dayco ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco

When you put your trans back in, try and counter clockwise your trans before tightening, I would imagine that 5/16 could be made up that way up at the input shaft. Also may want to check your rpm's compared to the other machines.
    You may also have a different geared machine such as one having a G transmission and one having a M transmission, the G transmission is geared lower, which would account for ease in climbs. You could re gear if needed using your housing, But I would be sure to stamp it for future owner reference.

Thanks tomo, you did have the very same experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomo View Post
    hi ,
    not trying to solve your specific application but here is my experience.
    I am sure there is an argo owner or even ODG will come with direct answers .
    In my experience a loose belt will engage in a higher gear and make hill climbing terrible
    I also had a choice of 2 centre to centre distances 12.5 inches nominal
    13.00 suggested by another very knowledgable source
    U guessed it the the alternate source was correct
    A side note is the smaller cen to cen distance was very easy to remove belt TO EASY
    The larger cen to cen distance as I have learnt now is more the ""normal "" belt is a little tough to remove

This may help or give u ideas
    I would wait for ODG advice

cheers tomo

Thanks guys for you input, sorry but I had to put things on hold, family here & fishing, sight seeing, & now I'm back at work. I did get a reply back from local Argo dealer the very next morning, I removed tranny & started cleaning everything, found nothing out of the ordinary, motor mount bolts tight, no cracks in the power pack frame, trany bolt holes alittle loose, nothing that would cause 5/16 of an inch movement. I'll update more when I start to reassemble. Again, thanks for the input.
    PS: MOOSE & Caribou season 3 weeks away, AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    When you put your trans back in, try and counter clockwise your trans before tightening, I would imagine that 5/16 could be made up that way up at the input shaft. Also may want to check your rpm's compared to the other machines.
    You may also have a different geared machine such as one having a G transmission and one having a M transmission, the G transmission is geared lower, which would account for ease in climbs. You could re gear if needed using your housing, But I would be sure to stamp it for future owner reference.
    All 3 trany are MU, good thought tho, am goin to attempt pivoting the trans back before tightening, hope it is something simple, thanks for the thooughts

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Here are some tips from Dayco ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco
    thanks for the link

clutch spacing

Center to center distance on a Conquest is 15.35"

+ Reply to Thread