Hustler 900 Chain Question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler 900 Chain Question

Hustler 900 Chain Question

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the 6x6 hobby and need a little bit of help. A friend of mine just recently purchased a Hustler 900 with the Kohler K440 two stroke and is keeping it at my place. It's been a bit of a project, but most of the work we've been able to handle, but there are a couple things giving us trouble.

Recently the chain running from the center axle to the front wheel on the drivers left side popped totally off the sprockets, it appears to be because a guide for the chain was loose and slid up (the guide is just below the seat in the attached picture taken before the chain came off, you can see that it looks angled slightly up). My question is, to reattach the chain, do we need to remove a link and open it up, or should we be able to slide the chain back over the sprockets and tighten that guide back down? We have been trying to do it without opening the chain and aren't having much luck.

The chain circled in yellow is the one that popped off, the guide circled in red is the one that appears to have been loose. Any info you can give would be great, we're pretty new to these awesome ATVs and are looking forward to getting this old dog back up and running soon.

Sounds like you answered your own question. If the chain won't roll back on you will have to find the master link, take it apart, place chain around the sprockets and replace master link.

You also have belt issues. Your belt should ride at the top of your secondary, flush or slightly above. You could have a worn belt, too small belt, or just too tight. In any case, you are losing low end power.
    Read this ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig1 View Post
    Sounds like you answered your own question. If the chain won't roll back on you will have to find the master link, take it apart, place chain around the sprockets and replace master link.
    Yeah, we figured that would be the case, but we weren't sure if there was something we were missing. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    You also have belt issues. Your belt should ride at the top of your secondary, flush or slightly above. You could have a worn belt, too small belt, or just too tight. In any case, you are losing low end power.
    Read this ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco
    I'm still learning what all the parts on this are called, but I assume you're referring to the way the belt sits on the pulley in the lower right of the photo? That would make sense, as it does bog down a little bit in the low end, particularly when trying to turn.

+ Reply to Thread