Hold back on laterals to keep from moving forward

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hold back on laterals to keep from moving forward

The transmission shouldn't even be involved at idle due to the clutch not being engaged, it's either idling too high or the belt is too tight for it to be creeping.
    Thomas

94 MAX IV, 16 Vanguard, Aqua Torques, 1 1/4" wheel spacers

Update:
    1.) Took all of the shims out and the Max does not creep forward at idle. Belt does not turn when idling.
    2.) Adjusted idle speed by removing the spring from the (governor?) - the device that rides on a swivel just below where the carb throttle bracket and throttle cable adjustment is. After I did this I could get the idle down like it should be.
    3.) Took it out for a ride and have slow throttle response. Adjusted the throttle cable and have a full pull on the throttle handle - Engine doesn't seem to get up to full speed and seems to half the power I did with the 18hp.
    Maybe a little lesson in Governers would help.
    Drew you said you could spin all 6 tires after you put the 23 hp in yours. I can't, not even close. Do you guys think I need to put a shim back in to make it tighter on the clutch or do you think it has something to do with the governor setting? I'm not sure where to go with this next. Actually getting real frustrated.

Its most likely the governor spring. I think you removed the idle spring. That's the spring that's attached to the tab you bend to get your idle down. The spring made of much thicker material is the governor spring that needs swapped over. It almost resembles an exhaust spring on a snow mobile set up. Start with that. I will try and get a pic of the spring I am talking about, but I am at something for my youngest son tonight and will be gone all weekend.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

The spring is about one inch long. I believe there must be some adjustment to the governer that can be done. Does the governer sit on a post with a screwdriver type slot at the top and a bolt with a nut going thru it at the end. If I loosen that nut and tighten move the bracket on that post does that help with speed. I can take a screwdriver and pull back on that and get a full power response.

That is an adjustment.

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-13-2016 at 09:40 AM.

There is a proper procedure for adjusting your governor, and I fear that unless you follow it step by step, you wont get it right. The good news is, that unless you messed with it already, it should have been set right at the factory.

What you will want to do with your belt is: Add shims back till it walks off at idle again, then remove 1 shim. It it doesn't walk away on you it is the right tension.

To adjust your throttle: Operate the lever on the carb without the cable hooked up, and take note of where the end travel is. Hook the cable back up and see if the lever goes through it's full travel. The attachment point may have to be changed on the lever to accomplish this.

Wheeler, it may be a while before I can get the laptop and post the pic in the thread, but I put a pic of the spring with some comments in the engine gallery just now. There is a tab that needs bent away from the engine as well.

Well, Good news. I finally got everything done. I figured out all the issues. I did some adjustments to the governer and adjusted some other things. I finally figured out that most mechanics don't specialize in Briggs and in my country your pretty much on your own. I researched the hell outta everything (god the internet is a great resource). Thanks for all the help from everybody and now it's time to RIDE!

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 11:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread