Does grease actually go in?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Does grease actually go in?

Does grease actually go in?

We needed to change out the bearings on the second axle on the right side this week due to being
    bumped by accident by another Argo. The damage was to the outer bearing flange and it's bearing. The inner sprocket was a pain to remove. Frustrating.
    Once we got it ready to put together the instructions say to be sure to line up
    the zerk with the hole in the bearing.
    I have my doubts that much grease actually squirts into the hole. First issue is that the zerk angle
    and the bearing hole don't match well. Second issue is the hole is so small. Third issue is the grease is thick.

Does the grease actually go in? Any evidence? Is it enough?

I've seen plenty of grease squeeze out the flanges due to path of least resistance. But I'm not
    sure if grease, or enough grease, gets in.

Any comments?

It goes in as long as the zerk isn't clogged, if you regularly grease your machine cut the outer race off and you'll see plenty in there.
    I over grease after every event/ride( until it comes out from somewhere, generally 15-20 pumps with pistol grip gun), this can extend the bearing life 100-300 hours.

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. When I grease my conquest (it has the HDI Bearings), occasionally the grease will start to push the seals out of the bearing. Other times the grease just oozes out between the bearing Carrier and the Outer Race.

RD

We do grease all zerks on a regular basis. We use the pistol-grip type and squirt grease
    until grease comes out the flanges. I'm always hoping grease gets in.
    By the way, we're using Marine grease as sold for outboard motors. I heard its recommended
    because its "waterproof".
    Thanks for responding. Sometimes I need a "you're doing the right thing" comment
    due to being an Argo newbie. Lack of confidence perhaps. I just don't want to mess up
    the Avenger. Its too valuable to us.

Why have sealed bearings inside the housing that is supposedly greaseable??

The seals also keep the grease in like a universal joint, elsewise when you get some water or grit inside the machine the grit can get in and the grease can get out. The outer seals in the aluminum flanges are mainly for water and grit intrusion.

I found that pumping the grease gun very slow usually results in more grease in the bearing rather than out the flanges.

Dave

I can't say I've squeezed slow, so maybe I ought to try to.

+ Reply to Thread