Argo Magnum vs Muskeg

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Argo Magnum vs Muskeg

Wow RD you have met your video match.
    Wow KDG! Awesome videos! It's incredible to see that old machine making easy work of such difficult conditions. I am afraid you are going to embarrass your friends with newer machines who are not going to be able to follow you.
    Your machine sounds as if it is never working to hard, just traveling alone at a relaxed pace through this very difficult terrain. Wow impressive!

Wow is right...I just got a chance to watch the last two videos...that trail is no "joke"...if you get back in there it looks like you had better bring your "A" game... I doubt you will see a lot of traffic back there.

BTW...just wanted to mention that I really respect the way you drive your machine...easy on the equipment and easy on the land, not to mention the passengers...I think it represents our sport very well and I think that "old" magnum is very lucky it found you...no doubt it has a lot of good years ahead of it!

tim

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    I think RD will probably agree..."the very best accessory for an AATV is another one"...lol
    I agree 100% Tim. If I found another magnum near me, I'm afraid I might just have no choice...just don't tell the commander in chief

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Really enjoyed your videos kdg. The last time I ventured into Canada was many years ago. Went to see Niagra Falls at night. Got there and the lights were off. That was a wasted trip.
    May I ask, out of curiosity, is most of the bush this wet all summer long up there or is it based on summer rain or the amount of snow & frozen ice from the winter?
    :
    Bridget, Funny you mention Niagara Falls, heading there this week with the family. Nothing like a 13 hour drive south, to test how much you love your kids. As far as the bush, it is uncommon for it to be this wet in July and Aug, but May, June and the fall do normally get pretty wet.

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Wow KDG! Awesome videos! It's incredible to see that old machine making easy work of such difficult conditions. I am afraid you are going to embarrass your friends with newer machines who are not going to be able to follow you.
    Your machine sounds as if it is never working to hard, just traveling alone at a relaxed pace through this very difficult terrain. Wow impressive!
    The way I see it, we all enjoy good videos, guys like RD just make that bar that much higher for the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    Wow is right...I just got a chance to watch the last two videos...that trail is no "joke"...if you get back in there it looks like you had better bring your "A" game... I doubt you will see a lot of traffic back there.

BTW...just wanted to mention that I really respect the way you drive your machine...easy on the equipment and easy on the land, not to mention the passengers...I think it represents our sport very well and I think that "old" magnum is very lucky it found you...no doubt it has a lot of good years ahead of it!
    Tim, need to get back in there before moose season to winterize the boat and such. I'll make sure to film it. There are couple spots I've always to get into in the summer that I plan on trying when i get back from our family vacation. Hopefully one of my avenger-driving buddies agrees to join me so we can see some side by side action.

Thanks for the kind words. The way I see it, if I take care of the old girl she'll take care of me. I'm also really lucky that my brother is a master argo and small engine mechanic so between both of us we keep her running better than the day it came off the assembly line.

This is not an area where you want to get stranded - if the bears don't get you the Mosquitos will. Plus walking back in the muskeg is a major pain in the #?%.

Cheers.

KDG
    Last edited by kdg; 08-18-2013 at 11:34 PM.

I agree with everyone. The videos are awesome and the trails are treacherous.

Regarding the aforementioned Argo Magnum, I think it’s safe to say that it is the epitome of what an off-road machine should be. It is safe, solidly built, extremely capable, and most importantly SIMPLE in construction. For example, the 18HP Kohler engine is not dependent on 12volt power to run, its electronic ignition system is simple and ultra-reliable, it uses bulletproof forced-air cooling instead of complex and problematic liquid cooling, the fuel supply system is entirely mechanical and requires no breakdown-prone electric fuel pump, etc. Kdg’s Magnum appears to be the perfect Argo.

How do I know this? Because I basically rebuilt it from the ground up, upgraded various parts where the stock units were not up to my standards, and made a few top secret modifications to improve the performance of said Magnum to the point where I can confidently say that this is the best Magnum ever built and quite probably the greatest Argo in the history of all Argodom.

And yet there is no mention of any of this. Geez, what’s a guy gotta do to get some credit around here.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    I agree with everyone. The videos are awesome and the trails are treacherous.

Regarding the aforementioned Argo Magnum, I think it’s safe to say that it is the epitome of what an off-road machine should be. It is safe, solidly built, extremely capable, and most importantly SIMPLE in construction. For example, the 18HP Kohler engine is not dependent on 12volt power to run, its electronic ignition system is simple and ultra-reliable, it uses bulletproof forced-air cooling instead of complex and problematic liquid cooling, the fuel supply system is entirely mechanical and requires no breakdown-prone electric fuel pump, etc. Kdg’s Magnum appears to be the perfect Argo.

How do I know this? Because I basically rebuilt it from the ground up, upgraded various parts where the stock units were not up to my standards, and made a few top secret modifications to improve the performance of said Magnum to the point where I can confidently say that this is the best Magnum ever built and quite probably the greatest Argo in the history of all Argodom.

And yet there is no mention of any of this. Geez, what’s a guy gotta do to get some credit around here.
    I was wondering about the engine, nice to know the facts about the machine from a mechanical stand point, I couldn't help thinking that engine sounded like an old CJ-5 with a six cylinder engine. Congratulations on a job well done, you have obviously done your homework.

Oh by the way, your brother did say you were a master small engine and Argo mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    I agree with everyone. The videos are awesome and the trails are treacherous..........How do I know this? Because I basically rebuilt it .........And yet there is no mention of any of this. Geez, what’s a guy gotta do to get some credit around here.
    Lol...good sence of humor RTFM! I can only assume that you are the "buddy" that got to stand out in that muck and take the video??? If so then I'm sure that he is very lucky to have a brother like you :-)

Nice job on the build, and welcome to the site! You've learned a lot about these machines, Do you still have one also? Nothing more fun than multiple machines...lol ...and it would be much easier to film from another drivers seat :-)

tim

Nice video. I have a camp on saganash lake. Near the south end. My trail is about the same as the one on the video. My Argo has had allot more use since we bought the camp. Is that the trail into the north end?

Dave

Supermag,

The one in the last four videos is not the north trail. This trail is further south and comes out at the narrows.

KDG

Quote Originally Posted by mightymaxIV View Post
    Yes, I will have to step up my game. Maybe change up the shot angles, or head into some of the bad wastelands. The only problem is that nobody could come rescue me if I need help..... Well, maybe my daughter could come help, but someone would have to haul her Argo out to the trail head for her:-)
    I flew over a place that looked like all the Demons of hell had spun it up into a major poop storm. I marked it on my gps, and spent the rest of the flight home trying to memorize cut lines so I could try to get there, but it was too much to take in all at once. Might be able to figure it out from google earth. If I make it you'll be one of the first to know ;-).

RD

+ Reply to Thread