Trail riding tips

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail riding tips

Trail riding tips

I,ve been making lots and lots of new trails and also interconnecting existing trails , each and every time I take my Max IV out. I usually cut trails for 5-6 hours each time I go out. Each and every time,that I take my Max out,I am more and more impressed at the places that I am now able to take it with ease.

The places that I now am able to take my Max IV 900T with confidence,continues to amaze me.

In the past,when I owned my Polaris 500 Sportsman,I would have:

1. Hesitated
    2. Thought for a while
    3. Took very serious consideration
    4. Said " NO WAY "

These are now the places I can now take my Max in complete confidence,with out fear of sinking or bogging down in the mud.

Sure, I,ve some times got myself stuck in some very thick mud, but ,I,ve also learned from Brandon,to rock my Max side to side and "most of the time" get myself unstuck.

But,if that idea dont work , I use "another" Brandon Price trick. I use a plastic tie strap to lock my throttle at a slow wheel speed and then rock my Max side to side,using my roll bar. This has worked most of the time.

Another trick that I,ve learned to get my Max unstuck, is to remove my winsheild and squat down on the very front edge of my Max IV, with my knees facing forward , and work the throttle from this position ,as I bounce up and down .

If this does,nt work ,I then use a plactic tie strap to hold the throttle open , at a "very slow" wheel speed , just enough for forward momentum. I then stand on the very front edge of my Max IV, with my knees facing towards the front of my Max . I then use my body weight to rock my Max IV side to side, using the roll bar for hand support.

This trick unloads almost all of my body weight off the wheels , enabling my Max to pull itself out much easier. This trick works really good

But,if that idea dont work, I still use the tie stap on the throttle,but,I then get out of my Max to unweight the body. This will then lower the "psi" on the ground,and make it much easier to get my Max unstuck. I also push forward against the roll bar,on the side I,m on, as I try to get my Max unstuck.

And, if those ideas still dont work, I then get out my "grubing hoe". This tool has pick on one end and a 4 inch digging blade on the other end.I use this to knock down any high mound of dirt that is in front of my Max,that is stopping my foward momentum.

And,if all this still dont work,I then use my 2500 warn winch with a Pulpal in case a tree is not close enough . But, if by chance, my warn winch ever fails me , I then get out my "come a long", and rachet myself out ,with additional 45 ft of nylon cable.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 04-15-2008 at 01:57 PM.

I use my winch!
    My brother and I have a cottage and we were out in the crownland about 5 years ago and kept coming across the remains of old trails. I said we needed something we could use to get back into these trails easily so we could groom them. Hence the Argo purchase. Since then, we have cleared and mapped over 60km (40miles) of trails in the immediate area, the bulk of them old logging, old hunting, or old raods that had grown over.
    Luvin it!

Quote Originally Posted by xrover View Post
    I use my winch!
    My brother and I have a cottage and we were out in the crownland about 5 years ago and kept coming across the remains of old trails. I said we needed something we could use to get back into these trails easily so we could groom them. Hence the Argo purchase. Since then, we have cleared and mapped over 60km (40miles) of trails in the immediate area, the bulk of them old logging, old hunting, or old raods that had grown over.
    Luvin it!

That sounds great ! I,m sure you,re having a great time in your Argo.

Yes,,I am very satisfied with my Max IV 900T. I,ve taken my Max across ponds , up long and deep creeks for about 3/4 of a mile , down very muddy jeep trails , down into creeks and up 35 degree creek banks that were the length of my Max in heigth , got lost one time , and ended up blazing a trail down a pipe line for about 3 blocks , that had shoulder high weeds, bushes , and also small saplings , but the Max IV just mowed them down with no trouble at all , and brought me safely back to my jeep and trailor , and with out scracthes . I was behind the winsheild of my Max though. ( grin )

In the past , I owned only four wheelers , but now , the Max IV has become the ultimate ATV for me.

When I owned 4-wheelers , I had to always look for alternate ways around the deep water sections on the trai l, if I ever came to one, but now , I have no fear of sinking out of sight , like I did before when I owned 4-wheelers.

When I,m in my Max IV , I,m always looking for the most challenging trail sections to go down or cross .

Mudbug3,,Just by chance,,,were/are you a member on the HighLifter ATV Forum ??,,,

Good tips on keeping the amphib moving,,without your feet getting muddy,,,I like the plastic tie idea,,,makes sense to keep the wheels turning,,and shift your weight all around for the best traction possible,,keep the cool videos coming too.,,,Mark

Last year, I started using a plastic cable clamp, which is re-usable to hold the throttle wide open on my 13 mile run down the beach because my right hand would start cramping really bad.

[QUOTE=m350;]

Mudbug3,,Just by chance,,,were/are you a member on the HighLifter ATV Forum ??,,,

Yes I am , you win a cigar
    Last edited by mudbug3; 04-16-2008 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by boncrshr View Post
    Last year, I started using a plastic cable clamp, which is re-usable to hold the throttle wide open on my 13 mile run down the beach because my right hand would start cramping really bad.

Roger , who drives an Argo 8x8 Response , uses a big rubber band that is rolled over a few times , to make his throttle stay in one position , just like a throttle lock . I,ve watched several video,s and seen Roger get his 8x8 out of situations that other people in amphibs could not . By using a rubber band as a throttle lock , and then climbing into the rear seat of his 8x8 , and using body english , he can hard things look easy

Roger is also an exellent driver at the sticks of his 8x8 , and knows how to quickly analyze the terrain ahead , and this no doubt , plays a big part .
    Last edited by mudbug3; 04-16-2008 at 01:47 AM.

AAHHH,,OK Mudbug3,,I thought your name was familar,,lol,,I also am a memeber there,,but have not visited there site in months,,,ever since they updated there site,,,prob a couple years now,,they changed passwords to there own WZAHTD?? whatever they assigned me ,,instead of my own,,,was to difficult to logon,,seemed like it hardly ever worked for me.

There were some smart and helpful people on there and great tips on ATV's,,I was in the Kawisaki Forum mostly,,Brute 750,,,which is the machine I traded for the ARGO BigFoot I have now. By the way,,we still own another Brute 750, is a twin to the one I traded.

Anyway,,sure is nice to keep the Mud on the bottom side of the new ride,,,and when it's dirty,,Just go for a swim,,,wash's it up nice,,lol

One of the first rides in the mud with the BigFoot,,my son was following with the Brute,,,he got stuck right away(has 27" Swamp Fox's on it),,BigFoot had to pull him out,,lol,,he and the Brute were covered,,took him 1/2 hr to hose it off,,I just went in the pond with the BigFoot,,all clean,,,Good to hear from Ya !,,,,,Mark

a tip that I learned yesterday was after a nice ride in the woods and you want to finish with a swim. Check to make sure you still have both your plugs!!! I swam about 20 feet before I started seeing water in my floor pan. Got turned and back to shore just in time to feel the water shift in the tub. felt like I ran over an invisible rock. Don't forget to check your plugs before you get too deep

+ Reply to Thread