argo heaters

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: argo heaters

So gokorn ,you are saying that the argos produce enought heat without a heater,would I still need an alternator,cause i could see my self adding a few led driving lights and a winch for sure that would be about it,maybe a small fan to keep the windsheild clear in the cold weather.

I know I'm a little wierd, but here's what I do when I know I will be out in the cold. (Winter time, when I am alone with one machine)
    I almost always have a small generator with me, 750 Watt (for a number of reasons), as well as a small ceramic heater. if anything goes wrong with the Argo, I will always have a backup heat source. I will always be able to warm up the Argo if it's too cold to start in the morning (Even a trouble light placed under the hood will warm up the engine enough to start if it's really cold out. A tarp over the Argo will speed this up).

Couple things:
    I thought the Avengers didn't have Brake Fans, and dont think they throw nearly as much heat as a Conquest (They do put out heat, just not as much).
    None of my Conquests have heaters, but it's more than comfortable inside the Cab with a top on when it's cold out (-30degC), even without cutting extra holes in the firewall. A small little 12V fan can be used to blow warm cab air towards the windshield to help keep it from frosting up.

RD

So what I gather ,with a convertible top on, the unit should stay warm inside even at -25 .or at lease comfortable???Thank's to all who have chime in so far..

Quote Originally Posted by deerchaser View Post
    So what I gather ,with a convertible top on, the unit should stay warm inside even at -25 .or at lease comfortable???Thank's to all who have chime in so far..
    With a Conquest, yes. With an Avenger......... I'm not sure.

RD

I find there is a lot of heat from the engine... with the sides zipped down we always get hot after a very short time even below zero. We can usually get by with just taking hats and gloves off and unzipping our jackets... even in very cold rides in Colorado mountains. But above zero we usually have to unzip the flaps a little to stay cool enough. I hate to get too warm because when I take my coat off it falls in the floor and gets wet. I'd skip the heater but the alternator is a good idea for those lights, winch, etc. Best wishes!

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    I find there is a lot of heat from the engine... with the sides zipped down we always get hot after a very short time even below zero. We can usually get by with just taking hats and gloves off and unzipping our jackets... even in very cold rides in Colorado mountains. But above zero we usually have to unzip the flaps a little to stay cool enough. I hate to get too warm because when I take my coat off it falls in the floor and gets wet. I'd skip the heater but the alternator is a good idea for those lights, winch, etc. Best wishes!

I also have the heater in my conquest, But very seldom use it. Even when It,s -25 out We find it,s nice and warm just with the engine heat.
    But the alternator is a very good idea. Because the last thing you want is a dead Battery. when you are in the back country .

Regarding brake fans in Avengers... Mine has one. It blows cool air to the brake rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty-Gunn View Post
    Regarding brake fans in Avengers... Mine has one. It blows cool air to the brake rotors.
    Is your's one of the Early Avengers? Pre HDI Avengers, before the Admiral Trans still had Brake Fans.
    The OP referanced getting a newer Avenger, so that's where I was going with that comment. Sorry for the confusion.

RD

So who has any experience or knows anything about that 20/50 internal charging system on the newer HDI argos .would I still need an aux alternator kit for running a couple of LED driving lights and a winch ,and a fan for the windshield.

I do not have an alternator but carry a jump pack with me, because there is nothing worse than a dead battery.

When I first bought my conquest I took it out running the lights and brake fan all the time, first trip the battery started to die on me. I know very little about the thing at the time. Once I charged up the battery, I have been good to go since with no problems but i always like to be prepared.

I spent a full 8hrs trying to pull out my buddies mudd ox out of a creek, Between the lights and running the winch frequently, I was ok didn't have an issue but I would put it in neutral and rev up when we were doing something else,
    2003 Argo Conquest
    Wasilla, Alaska

+ Reply to Thread