Electronic Fuel Pump needed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Fuel Pump needed

Fuel level is up and good. Compression might be a good idea. And yes it's a new engine. 23 hp briggs and Stratton Vtwin.

hi
    to check to see if it is a fuel problem when u r cranking in the no start condition ,spray ether [start fluid ] down the throat of carb . If the engine starts u have a fuel issue ..

Other items to check
    Do u have the fuel cut solenoid if equipped ,is it connected to constant power while cranking ???
    Float level needs to be 1/32 accurate of factory spec
    Is the carby a gravity feed unit or a fuel pump specified unit
    cleanout needle and seat with carb cleaner

If all else fails u have a new motor with warranty [get a new carb]
    These carbs do give issues on mini loaders etc

tomo

I'm wondering if the fuel is bleeding back from the carb. The Max 4 tank is lower than the carb. Mine did the same thing but the bulb pump fixed mine. Can you find a used carb somewhere to put on and try it?

Try throttling it up half throttle when you shut it down. Then see if the issue is still there on the next start up.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Update: Took fuel line off from gas tank and from just in front of the fuel pump. Blew gas out the line with no problem. Clear in-line filter show gas coming in just fine. Pumped gas with the hand bulb up and out the gas line to check that part of it. Tried throttling up half way before shut down. I got it to start after pumping it quite a bit with the bulb. I will know more in the morning when I go to start it after sitting all night.

Just a thought here as we're all working blind here. Does your fuel line come across the back of the machine straight and go up? I'm think it's back siphoning, perhaps remove the line from the carb. and add another filter ( unless it's back there ) and leave a sag in the line that will trap fuel so it can not back siphon. Would work like a plumbing trap does for fumes.

ARGOJIM - Yes it does, I'm assuming thats a normal MaxIV install. I like your idea and I'm going to try it. Although, I have an inline filter just inches from the engine and I believe that shouldn't allow it to reverse flow? Well maybe they do.

Also TOMO, yes if I spray starting fluid into the carb on startup it does start. Therefore it is a fuel issue. I did blow the gas line out all the way to before the mechanical pump on the engine. It has to be a carb issue. I'm not sure I want to take the carb off seeing as it is a new engine. I did install a bulb pump on the gas line and that did not work, therefore I dismiss the idea of a electronic fuel pump. If I do tear down to the carb what are some things that I should do when I'm at that point?

Did you check your valve lash yet? It may still start on starting fluid with low compression from tight valves. Just to double check, starts fine cold but not hot right? Do you need choke when cold?

I'd like to rule out the pulse pump and pulse line first.
    Set up a small tank, or plastic cup to gravity feed fuel directly to the carb. The carb float bowl holds a small amount of fuel and if it is full the motor should start. Installing the primer bulb may have only pressurized the line to the pulse pump......maybe not the line from pump to carb?????

You should also unhook the pulse line or it may spray fuel all over the place when the motor cranks.

+ Reply to Thread