Electronic Fuel Pump needed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Electronic Fuel Pump needed

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    I'd like to rule out the pulse pump and pulse line first.
    Set up a small tank, or plastic cup to gravity feed fuel directly to the carb. The carb float bowl holds a small amount of fuel and if it is full the motor should start. Installing the primer bulb may have only pressurized the line to the pulse pump......maybe not the line from pump to carb?????

You should also unhook the pulse line or it may spray fuel all over the place when the motor cranks.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
    Buggyman, I checked the line going from the mechanical pump to the carb and it is free and flows good. I sprayed a very little starting fluid into the carb and it starts right up no problem. So it's gotta be something with the carb. I am a little hesitant to remove the carb being it is brand new. There is only one adjustment on the carb that I know of and that is the idle speed adjustment. If I do take the carb off I would like to do some research before tearing into it.

I never suspected a problem with the line between the pulse pump and the carb. Having a blocked PRESSURIZED line is highly unlikely. It is far more probable that the vacuum (pulse) line to the engine would have blockage or is pinched. This would cause a weak pulse that may not allow fuel to be pumped at cranking speed, but after running would pump enough fuel.
    It is also possible that a defective fuel pump would cause the same problem.

Again, My advise is to rig up a gravity feed to the carb.

If your engine runs well, has good power, idles well, etc. It isn't going to be a carb problem.

Another thought comes to mind......remembering that your new motor has the fuel shutoff solenoid, but your old motor did not.
    1) make sure the solenoid has power at key start position.
    2) make sure it is not getting a low voltage during start (not enough to open it up), just powering a solenoid is not necessarily good enough to activate it.
    You could use a jumper wire from battery+ directly to it for testing, or just unscrew it and use the plug off your old carb.

Been real busy for the last month so haven't been able to post lately. I found out I may have diabetes and have been out of work for about two months. My feet go numb and they think it's diabetic neuropathy. Anyway I found the problem with my six not starting. It was the choke butterfly plate! After checking the carb I noticed that the choke was not closing all the way. I adjusted it so it closes nice and tight and now it starts with one turn of the key. After all the other stuff I did, it was as simple as that. Guess that's the way it goes. Thanks for all the advice everybody.

Sorry to hear about you health. Seems like lots of people are getting diabetes. Hopefully its just an adjustment of your diet.

Thanks for the follow up. Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks Larry
    I figured for awhile I might be a candidate for it but never really wanted to find out. Oh well, such is life. Hopefully your right, just and adjustment on diet.

Test came back from A1C test and doc said I don't have diabetes but I do have Pre-Diabetes. Soooo, I need to change my lifestyle drastically. Wow no fun. But, I gotta do what I gotta do!. Anyway I installed a new choke bar and now I'm back in business. I put a new 12 volt large battery in tonight and took the backseat out. I'm gonna put a 1/4 inch treated plywood piece of wood in place of the seat so I can haul alot more stuff during deer season. Should be fun.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Sorry to hear about the health troubles Wheeler. Good to hear you are still able to hunt though. Are you going to set the plywood in the floor, or just lay it across the fenders? More hauling room is always good.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Thanks Brushcutter.
    I think I'm going to lay the plywood across the fenders. I would like to fix some sort of hinge system so I can lift the piece up, so I can access the chains and battery. I think I might make a aluminum frame to put the plywood in, but not sure yet.

+ Reply to Thread