hi/low gear

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hi/low gear

hi/low gear

what would you low gear for? pulling a heavy load or hauling a heavy load.

In an Argo, the low gear is great for descending hills and driving tight trails. The machine is a lot more responsive in low gear. You also have engine braking in low gear.

If you have a high geared trans, you will use low for almost everything :-)

RD

I find it difficult to make turns in the woods and other tight quarters. Would low gear be better in those situations?

Rarely I use high gear. Once in a while on a frozen lake when I have far to go. In woods always low gear. Anyway you can't go fast in woods. I also think that it is easier on the driven belt on low. I have an avenger 2004. Only changed 3 belts in 660 hrs and beleive me sometime I'm loaded heavy. 7 adults and some gears, a moose in thick woods. So for me always low gear. I think that the new ones with admiral trans it could be different.
    Jack
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Twizted1 View Post
    I find it difficult to make turns in the woods and other tight quarters. Would low gear be better in those situations?
    Low gear would def make a difference in these situtations....
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

I thought low gear works best in the water too?

My conquest is low geared, with a bigger 27hp engine, I use high gear most of the time. Low gear is used for launching Boats/Seadoo's, pulling other machines out, tight trails, thick mud, steep hills.
    My daughters conquest is Med Geared, it's run in Low Gear in almost any kind of mud or muck, tight trails, ect. It's run in high gear on dry/grassy rolling trails, mild hills.
    This machine will go almost as fast in Low Gear as mine will go in High Gear.

RD

RD

This may explain why I have difficulties turning in some situations. Thanks for the info. I will learn to run my machine right some day.

+ Reply to Thread