Mississippi Hustler reborn

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mississippi Hustler reborn

Mississippi Hustler reborn

Hello All:

As this is my second forum post here, I am glad to find this site, and also to share the work completed on the first of my 2 Hustler restorations. I am in Jackson, MS.

The first: 1978 with a Kohler K341 16 hp. Almost 95 % complete rebuild so far. The second is a 1975 with a Kohler K440 40 hp – haven’t begun yet, but from the looks will only require bearings, chains, and cosmetics, as the T-20 was recently rebuilt.

The first one has been a complete dis-assembly, frame chemically stripped, repaired and powder coated. New axles fabricated from larger 1-1/4” cold rolled. New sprockets were welded to hubs fabricated from larger 2” cold rolled stock. I used the original thru hole method of attaching the hubs to the axles, but precision reamed both to fit using close tolerance hardened shoulder bolts. New chains off course.

The T-20 was rebuilt using new bearings, bands, seals, gaskets, and also new output shaft sprockets. How? The output shafts were cyro cooled, sprockets heated, the both press fit with a 300 ton press.

The engine rebuilt bored .010 over, new piston, rod, bearings, and the crank polished to std. New gasket / seal kit, fuel pump, crank bearings, carb, air filter assy, ign coil, etc. Muffler was ok, cleaned and repainted with hi temp. New Muff box built out of Aluminum. New Carlisle powertax tires and wheels are from Richard Clark. New wiring harness, battery & tray.

What’s left? Well I got the frame, axles, bearings, & T-20 into the tub last week, and started getting the chains on today, along with new chain adjusters. The engine and new mounts are ready to go in, fabricate some new bumpers, finish some wiring / switch issues, and will be ready to pop the top back on.

It’s taken a long time, don’t ask how long. I have worked this into my fishing for reds and specks in the MS gulf, boat repairs and everything else. I have posted photos in the members gallery. I hope to hear your thoughts, and will follow up when able.

Tailwind

Hey Tailwind,

Sounds like you're doing a great job with these projects. You're sure to get kudos from the handful of Hustler fans on this site.

George
    Last edited by George; 04-01-2008 at 05:46 PM.
    Banned

That Hustler is really looking good. I have one I'm tearing down now. I hope it looks that good when I put it back together.

Jerry

Hey Tailwind, I really like what you did with your Hustler.....great work! I absolutely love Hustlers and I must say that they are extremely well built machines and I would certainly buy another one in a second to add to my collection. I look forward to seeing more of this rig.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Tailwind,
    Great job on the resto, that is a good looking machine!

So clean!

Nice job on the restoration, Tailwind. It seems odd to see one so clean- they don't stay that way for long (at least mine never do)!

Really nice work.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

You can tell that you put some time and elbow grease into that one. Great job and thanks for sharing the pictures!

First class work, looks better than new! What are you going to use the Hustler for..riding? hunting? both?

BTW, your distinction shall henceforth be "The Hustler guy that actually has a functioning disc brake!"

I'll happily be joining the "Functioning Hustler parking brake club" too, as soon as get that new old stock caliper hooked up on my 980 BIGFOOT.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hey guys:

Thanks for all of your kind remarks about my Hustler project. Actually the cosmetics were the easiest part. I have to admit to cheating here. We have a local metal refinishing company. They have huge tanks and receive antique cars, trucks, street rods, etc., from all around the country. When parts come out of the tank, they look like brand new metal.

They also have a powder coating shop for small runs, and I was able to get everything stripped and powder coated for about $ 200.00 ! I did have some frame repairs in between the stripping and painting.

The battery, brake lever & shift lever tray needed replacing, along with numerous cracks welded, and straightening.

For you guys looking for brake parts, mine was missing the lever handle, cable, and caliper assy., and pads. I did have the disc mounted on the T-20. Researching the net, here is what I found:

The parking brake lever assy. was made Orscheln products, and the mech. Caliper and pads by Ausco products. Both companies are on the web, and I will list the part numbers shortly. I found a caliper assy. on the Route6x6 board, cable from Richard Clark, and brake lever on the web.
    Note that the caliper floats on the mounting bracket with clevis pins and hairclip springs. These were from Mcmaster Carr.

More assembly photos coming.

Tailwind

+ Reply to Thread