Conquest 8x8 w/ 20hp Kawasaki carb flooding, fuel pump doesn't shut off.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Conquest 8x8 w/ 20hp Kawasaki carb flooding, fuel pump doesn't shut off.

Question Conquest 8x8 w/ 20hp Kawasaki carb flooding, fuel pump doesn't shut off.

My 8x8 Argo Conquest with the 20hp Kawasaki FD620D engine hasn't been used for a couple years so I rebuilt the carb and flushed the old fuel out of the lines. After putting it back together I noticed the fuel pump never shuts off and I'm assuming it's flooding the carb/engine because the engine will only start up and run for about 1-2 seconds before it dies. I know the carb is getting plenty of fuel as it pours out of the drain plug when opened. It's an aftermarket fuel pump, however it's worked fine in the past. I put a new float valve in the carb and the float appeared to be fine as well. Any ideas on what I should look at?

If you think it is flooding, try to cut the power to the pump after the engine starts. You could also install a manual shut off valve to see if it runs until it runs itself out of fuel. I would double check the after market pump to make sure PSI and flow ratings are compatible to the OEM pump. You may be bypassing the float valve with excessive fuel pressure. Check out Rock Doctors video on YouTube on the conquest (Kawasaki) carb cleaning how to. It is a good video on the basics of the FD620D carb.

Dave

make sure needle is seating properly.easiest way to test that is turn carb upside down,and see if you can blow through fuel inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
    If you think it is flooding, try to cut the power to the pump after the engine starts. You could also install a manual shut off valve to see if it runs until it runs itself out of fuel. I would double check the after market pump to make sure PSI and flow ratings are compatible to the OEM pump. You may be bypassing the float valve with excessive fuel pressure. Check out Rock Doctors video on YouTube on the conquest (Kawasaki) carb cleaning how to. It is a good video on the basics of the FD620D carb.

Dave
    I can get it to start with or without the pump, but it dies within a couple seconds regardless. I've seen the Rock Doctors carb rebuild video, it was definitely informative, but it's not helping much with my issue I don't think. The aftermarket fuel pump ran fine for a year, so I'm doubting it's a PSI issue.

Quote Originally Posted by plott hound View Post
    make sure needle is seating properly.easiest way to test that is turn carb upside down,and see if you can blow through fuel inlet.
    I didn't want to take the carb apart again until I could rule out the fuel pump, however it looking more and more like a float or float needle problem.
    Last edited by kjac3585; 09-20-2013 at 10:22 PM.

try to carefully remove the shut off solenoid ( without breaking the very fine wire) and check for any drag in the needle, if there is any drag it may not be opening enough to supply fuel. Unplug the fuel pump, hook up the wire and ground the solenoid and watch for good travel and return. If there is any drag and cleaning it with gum cutter does not free it, nip the tip and if it cures the problem get a new one.
    The solenoid is about 75-100 so try to free it first.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    try to carefully remove the shut off solenoid ( without breaking the very fine wire) and check for any drag in the needle, if there is any drag it may not be opening enough to supply fuel. Unplug the fuel pump, hook up the wire and ground the solenoid and watch for good travel and return. If there is any drag and cleaning it with gum cutter does not free it, nip the tip and if it cures the problem get a new one.
    The solenoid is about 75-100 so try to free it first.
    I just put a brand new fuel shut off solenoid in, so I'm hoping that's not the problem. I know the engine is getting gas because I can start it repeatedly, however it dies shortly thereafter. It's my understanding that if one of these fails it prevents any gas from getting into the carb.

Yes if it sticks closed no fuel, if it only slightly opens not enough fuel, if it is known good than look elsewhere. Or if you still have the old one, nip the tip and give it a try to rule out the solenoid problem. But as you stated could also be the inlet needle, we also had a problem once where the inlet tube had a restriction we could not free.

I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and crimped the line to test the fuel pump and the pump still ran continuously. Aren't these pumps supposed to shut off after reaching a few PSI? I know it's getting fuel because I unplugged the fuel line and the gas pumped out steadily. I'm going to go buy a new pump, but if anyone knows anything about these pumps and how they are supposed to behave please fill me in.

Some diaphragm pump motors run continually although the motor isn't actually moving the diaphragm when pressurised.

I can hear the fuel pump on my conquest pulsing continuously as soon as the ignition is turned on.
    One more thing you can try is to gravity feed some gas to the carb fuel inlet using a small funnel and hose from about 3.5 to 4 feet above. Once the gas is in the funnel wait a while to see if it drops indicating a bad needle or seat. If the level remains constant when the engine is turned off try to start it. Weather or not it runs will give you a good indication on where the problem is and may save you from buying a new pump.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread