Hustler ID list

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler ID list

Hustler ID list

This is the beginning of the Hustler ID list. If anybody has the years of the model produced, axle diameter or any other info/changes please let me know. There may be mistakes here at first please let me know. I will edit this as we go. Here is a start I found from an older thread posted by Jpswift1. Thanks to all that help here.

Here is another thread you may be able to use to help ID your year. If you have a known model and year could you please post it.
    Year ID

19xx Hustler (unknown model number), fiberglass body, Kohler 309cc single, jackshaft/clutch style transmission, formed body for jet pump option.

19xx Hustler 880, fiberglass body, CCW twin engine, T-20, formed body for jet pump option. 6 chain frame. 1" pinned axles with 5 bolt flanges welded on,no gusseting. 47mm spherical inner brg's. 52mm spherical outer brg's in 3 bolt triangular bolt pattern. No split shifting. Parking brake on left mid axle. Metal fuel tank
    19xx Hustler 900, poly body, Kohler 440cc twin engine, T-20
    19xx Hustler 945hk, Kohler k341
    19xx Hustler 950, poly body, Kohler K341 single 16HP, and 18HP 694cc Briggs I/C twin engines, T-20.

19xx Hustler 980 BIGFOOT, tall and very tall lower bodies, 18HP 694cc Briggs I/C twin engine, T-20.

19xx Last year of production and models xxxx
    Last edited by LarryW; 10-06-2013 at 10:26 AM.

I;m not sure how to add to this thread so Larry or anyone else feel free to modify/move this post

19xx Hustler 880, fiberglass body, CCW twin engine, T-20, formed body for jet pump option.

6 chain frame. 1" pinned axles with 5 bolt flanges welded on,no gusseting. 47mm spherical inner brg's.in 2 bolt pressed steel flanges. 52mm spherical outer brg's in 3 bolt triangular bolt pattern pressed steel flanges. No split shifting. Parking brake on left mid axle. Metal fuel tank.

This is what I've gleened from my "1st." Hustler project machine. I'm certain the 399 Rotax in it was not the stock engine. Also,the T-20 was of U-Channel design which I thought was not right for the model year.

To see more about my 1st and 2nd Hustler projects,check out my build thread here,

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/hustl...ler-build.html

As mentioned in the build thread, #2 mach looks quite original so as I learn more specifics I will list them in this post also.

Back from my cleaning/recon mission. Let me clarify,I'm no authority on Hustlers or any other AATV for that matter but I did become quite familiar with mach #1 while disassembling it and lots of time looking while never getting it back together yet. So,let's begin with the left middle sprocket tubes, there are 3 differences in these pictures,
    ,This is #1,the T-20 drives a larger sprocket than the two for the front and rear chains,the brake caliper(not shown) is of the "T" style and the adjuster was a 17 tooth.
    , This is #2,all 3 sprockets are the same size,the caliper is not the "T" shape one and the idler is 19 tooth or larger.
    Mach #1's pump recess looks like this,, While mach#2's looks like this,

Judging by (assuming) the nice wide dome,closed end rivets that the skid plate was attached to mach #1 with,I would say it's OEM.
    It was made of sheet steel , The one on mach #2 looks OEM (by the rivets again) but is made of some type of plastic material

Here is the nameplate on top of the CCW twin as it say in the caption Hustler; 880-H?;34899

I believe this Walbro carb is OEM along with the ducting

Just noticed another difference between my two 880's. On mach #1 the hole on the left side of the machine is visible but you can see there is no opening on the right side

The opening on the right side of mach #2 is clearly visible in this photo.

So,if mach #1 came with an engine similar to mach #2 was the hot air only ducted out or was the ducting ran from the left side of the machine,over the engine to it's right side for cool air intake? If they were originally ducting out the hot air only I see why they quickly changed their thinking.
    Also,the racing stripe in the back has been relocated.
    Joe.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 09-26-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Adding more info

I've heard from a couple different sources that the last few of the tall tub Bigfoot models came off the assemble line with 1 1 /2" axles. I'd really like to know if that's true or not (and I'd like to find one).
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Thanks JoeMeg!
    Don, Do you know the last year of production?

If I remember correct the first 980 I'd seen was bought new in 1988 so atleast til then.

Afraid I'm not much help here. The best answer I've ever gotten was "right around 1990".
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Hey Larry,thanks for adding my info to the first post/official list. I added more specifics to my post about brg flanges,shifting,brakes & fuel tank,you my want to update my original post. I won't attempt it,I'll just mess it up,lol. Also,I'm going to camp after work today. I will try to get more specifics off of #2 Hustler such as engine and carb info and anything else I see on it that may hint as to what was original on this machine.

Joe.

Thanks Joe! Good info.

Don't forget the 945hk , mine came from the factory with a k341 .

Thanks Whistlepig1

+ Reply to Thread