16hp Briggs Vanguard Slow throttle response

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 16hp Briggs Vanguard Slow throttle response

16hp Briggs Vanguard Slow throttle response

Hi I'm fairly new to this site been reading and tried searching but haven't found an answer to my issue. I have a 16hp Briggs Vanguard in a 453e Terra Jet. It runs amazing at idle but when you rev it up or press down on the gas pedal, the engine seems very sluggish and slow to build up its rpm. It doesn't backfire or spew out smoke, it just takes a few minutes for it to slowly build up enough power to engage the clutch to get the Terra Jet mobile,,,but even then to me anyway doesn't seem to have full power or the power it should. Also thought the throttle response time should be way faster. I'm not a mechanic so easy on me or "dumb" down your answers for me please LOL I have this machine because I would like to use it for ice fishing. Lots of room on the lake to turn it around LOL Thanks in advance for your help

How is the throttle response out of gear? If its ok out of gear would sound to me like its a governor adjustment issue.

If the engine was not from a vehicle it may have too weak a governor spring.

Check to see if it has spark in both cylinders. A vanguard will idle just fine on only 1, but runs terrible under load.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Low compression or partially sheared flywheel key?
    Thomas

94 MAX IV, 16 Vanguard, Aqua Torques, 1 1/4" wheel spacers

Thanks to all

After reading Toys4me's post I went out and tried revving in neutral,,,and then read how to adjust governor and viola now have much better throttle response,,hit the gas and away it goes. Thanks to all who replied I sure appreciate the help. Also a big thank you to Toys4me. Now I can run it around the yard once in a while as I wait for ice LOL

Cool! Thanks for posting an update!

+ Reply to Thread