T20 in a new Mudd-Ox

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: T20 in a new Mudd-Ox

Quote Originally Posted by akranger72 View Post
    I think Matt is keeping the T-20 in the Max line up and will continue with his Mudd Ox 8x8 line. He couldn't compete in the 6x6 AATV market because a 6x6 Mudd Ox cost almost as much as the 8x8 Mudd Ox to produce. Now he owns the Max line up and will be able to compete in the 6x6 market efficiently.
    There is no need to try to do a 6x6 Mudd-Ox. I had a Buffalo truck myself at one time. I would like to have a Mudd-Ox with a T20, 3 range transmission(figure 8 mph in 1st, 16 in 2nd and 24 mph in 3rd), put the T20 under the seat, put the engine low in the tub right behind it, cut off the top of the current engine compartment(a smaller gas engine wouldn't need the tall engine compartment), put a flat bed from the back of the seat to the end of the body and have an 8x8 Buffalo with a large storage compartment under the bed. The flat bed would be 6 feet long give or take a few inches? I know it won't happen, but I can still dream!

I think akranger72 is right on the money. Hopefully Matt will evolve these into what they should have been made into years ago.

As far as "can the t-20 handle the weight and hp?" The horsepower many of you guys here have proved. I cant find the specs for sure but I thought the heaviest mudd-ox was right around 2100lb. The buffalo trucks max gvwr is 2135lbs. So it would do it. Might not be able to load it much. But how much weight will you loose with the hydraulics and smaller motor. But my thought on this is just like stated. Mudd-Ox should stay same. Max should gain a 8 wheeled model if having a t-20 8x8 is needed.

This is fun!!!

Matt
    http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb478/KaptainKrunch97/Signature_zps2b4e9265.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    Max should gain a 8 wheeled model if having a t-20 8x8 is needed.
    Hydromike was the one that deserves all the credit for the first Max 8X8 since he built one, and MaxIVMark got it and is working on finishing it now, with a 4 cylinder Honda powerplant.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Hydromike was the one that deserves all the credit for the first Max 8X8 since he built one, and MaxIVMark got it and is working on finishing it now, with a 4 cylinder Honda powerplant.
    I think RobinHood02 did it before I attempted it, and I don't think I deserve any credit since I passed on the entire project before I really got to the fun part. I would have loved to finish it, but I developed some serious negatively-based Kharma toward the machine after the tubs got botched by the guy contracted to weld the poly together. In hindsight, and if I had known about Buggyman's success with the HDPE-epoxy I would have done it myself. It has a new home 5.8 miles away, so I can go visit it whenever Mark's around.

I still love the idea of and 8x8 based on the Max IV design. I'm excited to see what direction Mark takes with what I started, but I know it'll be very cool however things pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    eh there guys, my Max II 8x8 had a problem with the single # 50 chains so i had to upgrade the whole thing to #60 by getting the axles and sprokets from Argo (argo ran single #50 in the early 70s and they too had a prob thus they went to double #50) ,the XHD axles from Argo retail for $70 a piece and the single #60 sprokets run about $15 each up here, the Argo axles use a different positioning system ,it uses little divots and a set screw to keep your sprokets in the correct location not snap rings and therefore very easy to adapt to a diferent location on the shaft that is required by Max, the Argo axle is 1/2 inch shorter than the Max axle but is not an issue. the new larger brgs and holders are all the same from Max and Argo so you wont have to change anything there, i went with a 27hp kohler and it has plenty of power, the T20 is holding up fine (i also have a Max II with a 700 MXZ and it too is holding up so the T20 is bullet-proof) as far as the tubs and tops go, it is very dificult to get that right with used tubs so i bought 2 new ones cut them and had them welded profesionally (about $600) ive had to repair the welds in some spots since, so i wish they made the 8x8 tub. the Max II shifter is now in the back seat and is a pain in the butt, but the Max IV you will simply have to extend the linkage. one thing i wish i had done was lift the front axle brgs in the frame an inch or so, so that they not on the ground with the same preasure as all the rest to accomodate easier turning ,the T20 is posi-track so ive never been stuck in that unit, the Max II has a narrow chain galley and was a pain when trying to get the axles and sprokets lined up ,Max IV has wide galleys and shouldnt be a problem, if i can think of anything else ill post it for you,,,,,,

The current Max IV lower body is a terrible place to start with a new machine. The tub needs to be wider to accommodate the clutch on the engine so you can mount the engine lower. The front of the tub is also a terrible design. Why would you want a 4" vertical plow on the front?
    Matt spent a lot of time and effort designing the lower tub on the Mudd-Ox. I can only assume that would be the best place to start updating the Max IV platform.

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    The current Max IV lower body is a terrible place to start with a new machine. The tub needs to be wider to accommodate the clutch on the engine so you can mount the engine lower. The front of the tub is also a terrible design. Why would you want a 4" vertical plow on the front?
    Matt spent a lot of time and effort designing the lower tub on the Mudd-Ox. I can only assume that would be the best place to start updating the Max IV platform.
    100% agree with you. The Mudd-Ox tub is perfect. Wide, deep, big chains, plenty of ground clearance in the middle, slap a T20, engine of your choice, and some sort of 2 or 3 speed reduction transmission between them and you have a perfect Max 8x8 that is much lighter, simpler, and cheaper than the top of the line industrial strength Mudd-Ox. No question the Mudd-Ox with hydraulics would out perform it, this would be the lighter, cheaper version for those that can't afford the big fancy machine.

So you're saying it would look like a MuddOx but be called a Max just because it will have
    a T-20? The body ought to be changed to look like an 8x8 Max not merely a
    relabeled MuddOx. Just my view on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O. View Post
    This is fun!!!

Matt
    Was wondering when Matt would say something...
    1995 Max IV , (#11582), 23 HP Vanguard, Custom aluminum bellyband/roll-bars with direct winch attachment. Recreatives track kit.
    Work in progress. Front windshield and canvas enclosure for winter use.

Alaska AATV Owners Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

+ Reply to Thread