T20 in a new Mudd-Ox

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: T20 in a new Mudd-Ox

One more thought and I will leave it alone.

I have noticed that it can be very difficult to shift the t20 when my Max IV is in tough terrain. It is almost impossible to rock the machine enough to get the gears to mesh up when you are in very spongy material that resists rolling. It can be done, but I have sometimes felt like getting out and pushing it back and forth to get it done. I think an 8x8 version would add to this problem. Based on what I have seen about split shifting the t20, I think a heavier machine would need to come stock with split shifting. This would help bring back some of the nimbleness of the smaller machines and make the thing easier to get into gear.

Wow, interesting thread for sure. I do like the way the Ox has full counter rotation and hydraulic drive. That is a huge plus for mobility and smoothness of applying power.

Not being familiar with a T20 except I saw one once, I cannot say much about them. My understanding is that you must STOP to shift from forward to reverse, also you cannot counter rotate it from what I've read.

I know Matt has a Hagen/Rooter in his possession and wonder if a Max 8 for lack of better term could be built with a Hagen instead.

This would allow full counter rotation and still maintain an all mechanical drive. It would be simple enough to add on a HI/LOW gear box to the input side as well, seeing as the Hagen only has a 2:1 built in reduction.

I'm all for advancing this hobby/sport and however that can be accomplished with existing materials and such that is both mechanically and cost effective is a bonus in my mind...

JM2CW
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

The T-20 is actually 2 transmissions in one case. Counter rotation is possible, but not with the factory shift mechanism...you have to split the shifter by yourself.
    Here is a video that member LarryW made: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...t-shifter.html
    Here is my MaxII Bigfoot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uro9kbDpLg
    And my latest project I made the shifters foot operated. [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    You still must stop before shifting, but with splitting the shifter, it is a much easier operation. With the factory set up, you are trying to get both sides to "pop" into gear at once. Changing this to one at a time eliminates the need to rock the machine or do the "T-20 dance".

Good post Buggyman,

I agree with all you said except the notion that a split shift must be an after-market enhancement. It currently is, but I think the factory could install split shifters if enough people wanted them. My point was that a heavier machine (8x8 instead of 6x6) might warrant a factory split shift to make it more operable.

I like the videos. Nothing works more efficiently to refute a claim.

Wow, then a T20 is a lot more versatile than I had thought. Interesting, as there is a machine locally with one and they guy is older than the dirt it sits on...his grandson's wife says I can get it one day LOL.

Then I can see a need for an entry level 8x8 and ya with a T20 and maybe a second gear box for Uber low range.

Counter rotation turning is really very handy, you can work your machine sideways doing it if need be. Albeit with the T20 it would be quite cumbersome due to the constant shifting.

Hope to see something like a tank trainer maybe ?????

Thanks for the vids and links those where helpful and now I'm intrigued by the T20.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

More to the point, I would like to see a hydraulic drive Max 4 or Buffalo truck. Now that would be something to maneuver with.

+ Reply to Thread