2 or 3 speed aux transmission?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 or 3 speed aux transmission?

2 or 3 speed aux transmission?

I'm just curious if there is a small 2 or 3 speed transmission that one can mount the secondary CVT onto then an output to my Hagen or Rooters transmission???

Looking for some uber low gearing with option of stock or slightly higher than stock gearing...just playing with options...in my head right now for when my diesel engine goes in
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Look at either a Polaris atv transmission or an aftermarket Harley Davidson transmission.

My father-in-laws Polaris Scramble tranny cracked and had to be replaced and I realized it is a stand alone transmission instead of being molded in with the engine like other motorcycles and atv's. It is only forward and reverse, no low range, but the other Polaris machines with high and low range might be stand alone transmissions like this one.

Harley's have stand alone transmissions also, but you would want an aftermarket transmission to be able to afford it. 1st gear is 3 to 1 or 3.25 to 1 depending on the model. High gear can either be direct or maybe a .85 or so overdrive.

Seen this DIY gearbox floating around some time back... Looks pretty straight forward to build, and just what we all need... more chains and sprockets.

Widdershins Way - DIY Gearbox

Yep

All the 90's Polaris 4X4s were Hi/Lo divorced transmissions, plenty of used ones out there for a few hundy.

There was an enduro motorcycle in the 70's that had two rear sprockets. I think it was bultaco. But on road you put the chain on the smaller one. Off road you use the larger one. I only read and saw picture of it but I believe it only had one front sprocket. Kinda of cumbersome but works.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    Yep

All the 90's Polaris 4X4s were Hi/Lo divorced transmissions, plenty of used ones out there for a few hundy.
    I didn't know that, but if so, we may have just solved the 'low range' problem of the Max and other T20 machines. Another nice feature, at least to me, is that you could leave the T20 in forward gear all the time and use the auxiliary trans for reverse. No more having to pull the sticks backward to back up (that always annoyed me) If top gear gave you about 20 mph, low was 2 to 1, imagine how much power that machine would have geared down to 10 mph!

Quote Originally Posted by greg pinson View Post
    I didn't know that, but if so, we may have just solved the 'low range' problem of the Max and other T20 machines. Another nice feature, at least to me, is that you could leave the T20 in forward gear all the time and use the auxiliary trans for reverse. No more having to pull the sticks backward to back up (that always annoyed me) If top gear gave you about 20 mph, low was 2 to 1, imagine how much power that machine would have geared down to 10 mph!
    My thoughts exactly to have a fire road gear cause there is lots of that around here where I'm at and a uber low for when needed. I need just a forward geared unit no need for reverse, as my transmission functions much differently than the T20's most of you use. I've considered a T20 but I like what I have and it works well.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

There was someone way back that put a 3 speed trans/gearbox in a maxIV or it may have been a rim. Im going to try to find it again if I can.

ok found it, lol. I was thinking Gus Marrone but wasnt possitive and it is. I havent found any details and cant find a shot of the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
    ok found it, lol. I was thinking Gus Marrone but wasnt possitive and it is. I havent found any details and cant find a shot of the setup.

Thanks for looking at least, I've just been toying with the idea between a under/direct/over drive setup if at all possible..I just don't know LOL

With the addition of the diesel engine, I'd like to think it would suite the setup well.

Larry I also posted about belt length and percentage of gear change in this forum do you have any suggestions???

Thanks again
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread