2 or 3 speed aux transmission?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2 or 3 speed aux transmission?

Been looking and so far nothing in my area is available.

I'd surely like to find a nice small stand alone range box DOH!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

Check Hydromike's thread on Newthebold build.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Check Hydromike's thread on Newthebold build.
    read the thread, interesting build...checked out pics. That's similar to what I want to do but 203 box I have is destined for my 1 ton truck! 203/205 doubler!

I'm thinking more along the lines of similar box but aluminum, maybe I can find something in a off shore brand truck..hmmm...that's an idea.!

Thanks for the tip!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Of course, leave it to a four wheeler to come up with this

Now wants to sell it...WTF thats in essense a planetary 2.72:1 reduction box built onto a Dana20 transfer case.

Hmm...lets see how many left nut$$$$$ one has to donate for that!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

The NP203 range box itself weighs in at about 100 pounds or so, and it's best suited to a machine where you don't give a darn about weight (like the 'Newt. ) I really spent some time looking for a smaller, light(er)weight range box or transmission to use, but just gave up when MaxIVMark gave me this freebee. The downfall(s) with it are certainly the weight, and that it yields a measly 2:1 reduction in low range. The high side is that I should be able to throw about 500hp at it.

This thread was finally a good reason to get off my lazy butt and post some pictures I took earlier this fall of a REALLY cool little range box I came across at work. It's a simple in-out reduction box that's used on a small Diedrich drill rig we had on a project. The rig was powered by a flat 18hp Kohler, and the reduction box was coupled between the engine and the right angle drive on the drill. Below are a few pictures of the unit. I couldn't find any model number or actual reduction of the box in low range, but the driller estimated that it was between 3 and 4:1. It's a cast iron case and I'd wager it weighed about 50-75 pounds or so. I looked around online to see if I could find something comparable, but gave up after a short bit (or likely got distracted by a shiny object....)

If anybody is familiar with these units, I'd LOVE to get my hands on one.

Hey,

That' looks alot like a simple two speed PTO box to me. I imagine that's all it is.

Looks like standard 6 bolt flange mount PTO on side of a transmission the way it is set up.

JM2CW
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Hey,

That' looks alot like a simple two speed PTO box to me. I imagine that's all it is.

Looks like standard 6 bolt flange mount PTO on side of a transmission the way it is set up.

JM2CW
    I was thinking the same thing. It looks just like this.
    Chelsea Dana PTO Gear Box | eBay

Well, it looks similar but that's not the exact unit. the box on the drill rig doesn't have a gear protruding from the bottom / side where it would be powered by the transmission. This box is a simple in/out, and is powered by the input shaft only.

+ Reply to Thread