Which Argo do you have? What do you like and don't like about it?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Which Argo do you have? What do you like and don't like about it?

Which Argo do you have? What do you like and don't like about it?

Hello, I am still learning about Argos. The more I look on the net, the more the Avenger 8X8 750 EFI would be my choice. But at $19,000 naked … this is a lot of money. So I think if I want to get my hands on an Argo before the next 10 years, I will start to look for a used Argo until I can changed it and afford the Avenger.

Now, bear in mind that I am a rooky and I do not know nothing about Argo. I could not tell you the differences between models. I saw plenty of 6X6 for sale on different sell anything websites. Although I am leaning more toward a 8X8 for its cargo capabilities and towing capabilities.

I would like to know which model of Argo do you have? which year it is? Did you buy it new? Do you think buying a used Argo is asking for troubles? What do you like about it? What don’t you like about it? And if you had to do it again, will you buy the same model? What would be considered a No! No! ? Is there a model that is known to be more troublesome ?

Thank you all. I need all the help I can get.
    Last edited by Igor; 04-06-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Bigfoot, Conquest, Avenger

Welcome Igor. I have owned 3 Argo's so will base my knowledge from the experience with those:

2001 6x6 Bigfoot (now the Frontier) - little to no cargo capacity, and not good for even small kids in the back as it's pretty bumpy. Shorter wheelbase gives a bit more choppier of a ride, but being smaller they are a bit more nimble in the bush. The fastest type of an Argo due to the wheel and engine combination with the lighter weight.

1999 8x8 Conquest (now the Avenger) - a good all around performer, perhaps a bit underpowered for hauling loads. Lots of space for passengers, hard to turn on hard surfaces vs the Avenger, a solid performer. Better for climbing really steep hills (>45d) as a 6x6 can flip backwards. A solid used marketplace as conquest owners upgraded to Avengers makes for a nice low cost entry to the world of Argo's. The biggest weakness with the conquest was the 22" tires which ate up rims from rock damage. The new 24" fits on them and everyone is saying how good they are.

8x8 Avenger (non efi) - only if you plan to be in the mile high club should you consider an EFI. That's where the real benefit will be seen. Much improved performance over the Conquest with the new steering handlebar (you can ride one handed), 26hp motor, and steering improvement design. While the cup holders sound nice, they are pretty useless as the heat from the engine will heat up any liquid you have in there (winter time okay). Improved ground clearance due to change in tunnel design.

New vs Used - well you'll save cash out of the gate, and usually get the accessories in the price for almost no uplift in cost. The Avenger is the only one we bought new, and ironically the one we had the most challenge with (check out Avenger woes on the Argo section). Personally I would look for a good used model being your first time to Argo'ing. Much lower entry cost and if well maintained should last many years under proper maintenance.

As for what I would look for in a used machine
    - must haves - winch and bottom skid plate - you'll go where you shouldn't and need these to get back
    - great accessories to get in the price - windshield, rear seating, tracks
    - less than 300 hours and well maintained - check the grease points and front chains - if someone is lazy in their maintenance, it will show up there.
    - check chain tension blocks - cheap to replace but if worn through another indication that owner did not maintain well
    - lower body damage - make sure it doesn't leak
    - with machine raised off the ground, grab each wheel and see if you can wiggle them in and out towards the body - loose here means lose bearings - not expensive to do yourself but some of them are a real pain

Other Argonauts will no doubt chime in as well. Take your time. Choose wisely.
    - accessories - windshield, rear seating, tracks

2000 max IV
    2008 avenger efi
    I bought both machines new. I don't have much expirence with the argo yet, but so far I can tell you it has unlimited power compared to my max. I have all the options except the winch (forgot about that one stupid me) The avenger seems very well built, but your right it is very expensive. but i plan to keep it a good long time.

I myself recently started looking into the 6x6's,,The amphibious part of them really interested me,,started looking for Argo's or a Max,,,Ebay, craigslist,,etc, getting a feel of how much $$, I found my 2000 Argo BigFoot nearby, and was able to do an even trade, that I figured I got a great deal on,,with 315 hrs, 25" RawHide tires,18" tracks, winch, skidplate, windshield, plow, and extra set of wheels with the 22" RunaMuck tires.

After a few rides I could tell something was wrong,,could hear this growling noise,,well It was in the trans,,,(see Argo trans kinda noisy), So prob most know by now it's all apart,,and getting closer to being re-installed,waiting on parts. I was very impressed how well built the Argo drivetrain actually is, double #50 drive chains, single #60 chain to the rear wheels,,I beleive it's has solid 1"-1/4 axle's.

I agree a 8x8 would have more room, for stuff,,but with all the accessories I got with this BigFoot,,I had to do it,,,I traded a 05 Kawi Brute Force 750 for it,,,which was mint,,,But to me,,I have had enough of speed and digging up the lawn,,,want slower, crossing ,mud, water,,and staying clean is a great asset to having an AATV.

I have a 1985 Argo 8x8 with a 18hp Kohler Magnum. I bought it a little over a year ago. It had been sitting in a barn for 10 years. It didn't need a whole lot when I bought it but I got all the parts for the engine from Napa and the other parts from Leo's asv. I also put a winch on it. I don't see any problems with buying a used Argo. I would probably steer away from one with any body damage but minor damage can be fixed.

Two older ones

85 8x8 good machine it looks like the original motor was replaced by a Briggs and Stratton 18 hp by the previous owner. I have been offered two times the amount I have put into it but reluctant to sell unless I find another like at a good price.

97 6x6 Vanguard not a bad machine doesn’t have axle flange extensions, same motor as the 8x8 but seems to have more power. Doesn’t have the room the 8x8 has but a small to medium size adult can fit in the back

Both machines have double #50-2 roller chains which I think are great, self guiding always stay on the sprockets even when a tensioner let go. I have herd some say it reduces power but I do not feel it. Both have winches but looking forward to getting tracks for the snow on either one of them next winter.
    Last edited by Robio_8x8; 04-07-2008 at 12:19 PM.
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Igor
    I have a 2007 Avenger non EFI, just couldn't justify the extra 1,000 for this option. It has its advantages, quick start, high altitude adjusting, traversing very steep hills since system is pressurized. I too have not been into this very long but love this sport. If you are considering a new one and it is in you price range that’s great. They have had several price increases in the last year. Yes 19,000. Is steep. The advantages to this is you can do it right, right break-in, right maintenance and the unit will last for years. The key to these units are the maintenance. Take care of your machine and it will take care of you. Have had no problems at all with my unit at all so far. Recommendations; if you put tracks on it get the plastic ones this allows slippage over the rubber type. Easier on chains, etc.... You may get more advice from the guys that have and utilize these items. They are on my want list. I would do it again if faced with the same decision.

If you have children the back seat is a must. It keeps little arms and bodies more into the center of the machine and takes weight off of the outside.

Had a 2003 conquest loved it had no problems with it but made a mistake and drove the Avenger, the rest is history. The conquest is a great machine. Bought mine used for 8500 hundred. Had 85 hours on the clock. Young fellow bought it and is very happy with it. If you decide to get a used unit and it is not an Avenger check out the conquest. Avoid busted body parts must have double hull and take the floor pans out and look at the tensors, chains, sprockets and look for cracks in the bottom if it is not double hulled. Check for trash in bottom or excessive oil pooling this could be a leaking gearbox. Chains should be kept well lubricated it rust looking the maintenance probably has not been great. Just some items to look for. I am sure there will be other members with more advice.

Back to the Avenger: To be as large as they are (Avenger) they are quiet nimble. One big difference that I noticed with the Avenger is the tires are far more aggressive than the 22's on the Conquest. Some have even put the 24’s on the conquest and enhanced the performance and ground clearance. The 2007 Avenger rear wheels do not always rest on the ground. The two center wheels are about 1 inch or so (lower to ground) than the front and rear. Makes for easier turns. Once a load is added it evens out. I know I don’t use mine quite as much as others but, I have had it in some pretty tuff terrain and it has plenty of power and climbing ability. Don’t care too much for the handle bar breaks but have gotten use to them now. My unit is Black as far as I know it is the only one around that color. Makes for harder clean-up but that’s ok, I like to keep them clean when not in use. Another option which works well is the rear hitch adapter with the quick disconnect. I will send you a picture of the 2003 conquest and the 2007 avenger. Don’t be scared to buy a used unit but avoids units that were used by companies like power distributors and such, these machines really get a work out, they are not individually owned and cared for.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your quest for a machine.

Lewis

My argo

I was in the same boat you are a few months ago. I looked all over the place and did tons of research before finally picking up my machine. I ended up with a 96 conquest that had been meticulously maintaned with all maintenance documented and only 425 hours on it. It came with quite a few accessories to include an aluminum hard top/cargo rack and soft sides to enclose the cab. Only thing I wish it had was tracks, but I will find a set.

went out for a short ride yesterday. can accross a downed tree. The tree wasn't resting on the ground, it had some space uner it. the tree was probably 15" in diameter. the tree was 20" to the top of the tree. So I decided to give it a try. I went right over it with no problem.

I have been putting the 6x6 to the test the last few days too. Anything that I see I try to climb over or through. I have only been stuck one time in the past few days. I got my front axel over a downed tree just in time for my hitch to catch on a small stump. I was wedged on the tree. tires spun the bark off in the first few spins so there was no traction. Oh well! thats why I bought a winch.

+ Reply to Thread