99 conquest no spark

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 99 conquest no spark

RockDoc, I watched your YouTube video on carb cleaning and did almost exactly as you did. Pulled spark plugs and checked fuses and for loose wires this pm. Nothing. I guess I'll have to pull the ignition parts out as per manual and test 1 by 1. What a pain.

Before you go to crazy pulling things apart. The ignition switches do fail some times , check that the fuses are all good and if so disconnect the yellow wire from the ignition switch and supply power to the yellow wire then crank engine, if you have spark it's in the switch. If not you will have to look further, our 94 needed the large harness plug redone due to connection issues where it would shut off for no reason and restart run fine for a while after shaking connector.
    There is a ten amp fuse that controls the ignition module and fuel solenoid.

Spoke with a local small engine mechanic today. Since no spark at either plug, he thinks I've got a loose wire or bad connection "upstream" from the coils. Still looking.

Broke down and took it to a mechanic. Still waiting on an answer. I think it may be the ignition switch as you guys suggested, because the fuel pump wasn't running either when I turned the key.

Mine did t have any spark it ended up being a fuse 1996 conquest

Thanks, Madman. I checked the fuses but will check again. The cold/rainy weather ( for Texas) has slowed my mechanic. If he's not done tomorrow, I may pick it up and attack it again myself. Ducks are flying and I'm tired of wading.

I found a connector that seems to be missing a wire, but can't see it on the schematic. Y/w from main harness appears to feed 2x y/w and orange. Y/ws go to coils. Orange goes to igniter. But it looks as though there's an empty plug. I'm about to buy the igniter, but am still hoping its just a bad connection.

When I get home I'll look at mine and see which fuse was bad and maybe ya can just use a jumper wire and make it hot to see if it's your ignition switch or bad connection on your fuse box

Replaced the igniter $95 on eBay and got it started. Looks like I've got a fuel issue, now. I didn't purge the line after cleaning the carb, but I think I'm on track.

There seemed to be a lot of vapor in the exhaust when I started it. It was cold (35) tonight and the machine hasn't run for over a year. I'm hoping it was just water in the muffler. There was no evidence of water in the oil (it was clear, not milky) and the coolant is full so I'm not thinking blown head gasket. Also, the "smoke" didn't smell oily. May check the compression when I check the plugs, tomorrow. Any other thoughts?

Also, can hear an intermittent "crackle" or " snapping". Sounds like its from near the flywheel, maybe where the pulser coils are? I'm wondering if I've got a short that damaged the original coil.

BTW, I'm thinking fuel prob because the engine stalls under load. Drove it to the end of the driveway but didn't want to venture farther yet.

+ Reply to Thread