99 conquest no spark

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 99 conquest no spark

99 conquest no spark

I've recently acquired a 99 conquest with a kawasaki fd620d engine. It was running when parked (about a year ago), but now won't fire. I started with a general cleaning, including pressure washing the engine bay, cleaned the carb, replaced the old fuel, added "sea foam" fuel treatment, charged the battery, etc. It turns over, but doesn't fire. Before tearing into the ignition system, I'm searching for something I might have overlooked.

I've confirmed the transmission is in neutral and set the brakes. The oil level reads full. Haven't checked the fuses yet or looked for other loose wires, but, without a manual, those are all of the things I know to do. Does anyone know of any other probable "fixes"?

Have you done a visual spark test?

Check out the home page for a copy of the manual for argo,,,

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...o-manuals.html

And if that is no help then I have a copy of the FD620 manual. PM me your e mail and I can send you a copy.
    Last edited by guyfox; 11-18-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: added more info
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Air + Fuel + Spark
    Thats all you need
    If it was running when it was it was parked a yr ago, Air should be fine.
    Pull the Spark Plugs, plug them back in their boots, and set them on the engine in such a way that the SP threads are grounded to the engine. Crank the engine over, and watch the SP's for spark (Don't touch the SP's). If you have Spark, dribble a little 2st oil in the Cylinders and put the SP's back in.
    When you say you "Cleaned the Carb", what did you mean? Did you change the Fuel Filter? Can you hear/feel the Fuel Pump run when you turn the key on? I would suggest that you should take your Carb apart and clean it properly....... There are several little ports/jets that are probably plugged off.

Try not to run any of that old fuel.

RD

To do a real quick spark and comp test just dribble a little gas straight into the carb and crank it over, if it fires then dies your gas shutoff sol is probly stuck. Rock Doc's got a fix for that... RR

I used a test light that goes between the spark plug and the wire. I'll pull the plugs today. I found the fd620 manual on-line, but the ignition section walks through testing individual components. I don't mind doing that, but am thinking two things: first, there may be some safety switch preventing the spark. I read in a newer argo manual that the low oil sensor can prevent spark. Also thought maybe the gear shift had a safety switch to prevent starting in gear (I started an older machine in gear a few times and had it roll away from me). Is there a "dead-man" switch on the seat? Maybe a fuse?

Second, the hour meter reads only 75 hours, and I know the original owner. It was running when parked and I doubt anything major (mechanically) happened during the year it was parked. I'm just wanting to eliminate all the simple answers before I start taking the electrical system apart.

As to the carb, I disassembled and soaked then blew all the orifices out with air. Had a heck of a time getting the rubber gasket back in the groove between the top plate and the bowl. Haven't checked the fuel pump, yet, but gave it a shot of starting fluid to see if it would hit. So far, no luck.

Thanks for your input!

fuel shutoff sol

By the way, when I took the carb off, I noticed there was no fuel solenoid as pictured in the FD620 manual. The prior owner mentioned that his mechanic put a new carb on the engine. I'll look again to verify that I just didn't miss something.

There are no safety switches, other than the Anti-Backfire Solinoid, and that sounds like it's been removed from your machine.
    I'm no small engine guy, but I think it's importand to carefully clean all the Jets, Orifices, Holes in the carb components. Maybe you did that. I like to poke a fine Torch Tip Cleaner through the holes to make sure they are clear.

RD

Sitting that long, it may have a blockage in the fuel system too.
    Pop the fuel line off at the carb, and carefully turn the key on...... May want to direct fuel line towards the wifes cat, or into a gas can. Quick way to eliminate that possible issue.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    Sitting that long, it may have a blockage in the fuel system too.
    Pop the fuel line off at the carb, and carefully turn the key on...... May want to direct fuel line towards the wifes cat, or into a gas can. Quick way to eliminate that possible issue.

RD
    Which issue? The wife's cat?!?

As far as safety switches, (if any) those just about always interrupter the starter circuit rather than kill the ignition.

Just about all small engines have a kill wire. One circuit of a typical law mower key switch (what most 6x6's use) make a connection to ground to kill the engine. Make sure that kill wire is free and un-shorted. If it touches ground anywhere along its length: no spark.

Mower key switches have 5 terminals: incoming battery plus, switched power, starter feed, (goes battery plus when held to start) a ground, and the kill wire connect.

There are two contact sets when the key is turned. One contact set OPENS the kill wire to ground circuit, the other CLOSES to power on switched accessory items. A 3rd circuit momentarily CLOSES from battery plus to starter solenoid.
    "Sand is pavement to a 6x6!"

+ Reply to Thread