Argo Frontier 650 starter replacement

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Argo Frontier 650 starter replacement

Argo Frontier 650 starter replacement

I've done everything I can to narrow the problems I'm having down to the starter being bad. I've worked with the guys at adair and checked the cables, connections, battery, solenoid, and other things. At this point, the only thing I can think of left to replace is the starter. So I'm going to do it. The argo was showing what I now realize were symptoms of the starter going bad before.

It's a 2007 frontier 650 with the vanguard 23hp, of course. My question is this: do I have to remove the engine in order to replace the starter? Because that's the only way I can see to remove it. If someone knows how to replace the starter without removing the engine, please help me.

If not, someone please PM me for a pretty sweet deal on an argo with older adair tracks and a plow.

Bear with me as it's been a while, some V's had a cover over the drive about 1 inch wide held in by two small 1/4-5/16 headed screws, if yours does remove it or atleast the one you can feel easily and if needed bend the cover out of the way. Next or actually first disconnect battery and remove the wires going to the solenoid or loosen hose clamp and remove solenoid. Next remove the 2 bolts holding starter in place with 12 or 13mm (unsure as to which) 1/4drive socket/extension 1 is easy one is harder, if you can get them loose a little you can use a Torx bit to remove them.
    Assembly is opposite yet a tad more challenging getting starter bolts started in the threads.

Since your working blind a mirror will aid in some of this, hand/brain coordination helps as you just can't see it. Or local lawn mower shop can probably handle it.
    Good luck

It sucks at best....drinking and or Adderall before hand may help

Yep. It took 4 breaks of walking away before I finally felt what I needed to feel. It's out, and I'll have a new one on the way soon.

Yes its awkward to get at these starters. I changed mine out a few years back for a high torque starter when the original went bad. I feel your pain and I recall my knuckles were skinned up for several days.

The 23 HP B&S seems to go through starters quickly, I know they aren't overly engineered, but I've heard from several folks that around 150 hours the starter went out.

Hi torque starters are the only way to go IMO if there's room for the solenoid in that machine?, much easier to bolt back in also. never will need to change one again.

Briggs part #808726

HI
    The best way to look after a starter is to ensure it has good wiring ,
    At least 1/2 inch od
    Do both positive and negative side [negative side, starter to battery ]
    Voltage drop caused by poor wiring makes the starter work a lot harder .

The other point is due to voltage drop from ignition switch many solenoid wires [siginal wire ] cannot achieve 12v or higher.
    Solution --- Measure this and fit a relay

tomo

Well I had a 25 hour frontier with new battery and solonid that was just unreliable starting. Ordered Briggs starter# 808726 and 2 mount bolts# 806474(8x1.25x100m). That was the easy part, this one didn't have the proper opening in the flywheel shield for this larger starter end. I was able to open the sheet metal up with a dremel tool and cutting wheels. The 20 amp charging system requires care not crushing the charge coil leads when installing the starter. All said it wasn't very easy but this thing turns over like the plugs are out every time.

+ Reply to Thread