20hp honda in a argo

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 20hp honda in a argo

20hp honda in a argo

im trying to put a honda in my argo the motor mounts arent the same as the kohler i took out im a welder and can make it work but the real problem is the old clutch wont fit the hondabut the honda has a clutch on it will that clutch work with the clutch on the tranny or will i have to change that one out as well

Was it a 2-stroke Kohler or a 4-stroke in it originally?
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

It was a 4 stroke it was a kohler 17hp v twine the argo is a 8i/c

What clutch is on your honda. The driven clutch should be fine. As long as your not running some dinky gocart clutch, you may be alright with what's on the honda.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Measure the distance between the faces of the clutches right at the crankshaft part of both clutches. They should be within 1/16 inch to be compatible with the driven and stock width belt I believe that older one ran a 1 3/8 inch wide belt. If the honda has a 1 inch shaft I have bored the Argo clutches that thread on and had a keyway broached in them to fit onto newer engines. Was a lot of work to save purchasing a new drive clutch.

My engine is a 20hp out of a land pride trekker side by side the belt on the side by side is about a 1/4 inch narrower than the argo belt should I use the argo belt or get a belt that is the same length as the argo belt and narrow as the belt off the sided by side and swap the clutch on my argo tranny to the one off the side by side tranny
    Last edited by duck 690; 12-09-2013 at 09:22 PM.

HI
    use clutches as a matched pair
    eg both argo original clutches 4 stroke ok [must be similar in hp to the Honda for swap to be effective ]
    Using the original clutches allows original style of belt [width ] but the centre to centre distance of the shafts needs to be the same also
    Mixing/Installing another type or style of clutch will interfere with how the transmission changes,most likely a poor shifting outcome .
    Remachine original drive clutch or purchase replacement that is a match for your driven

tomo

Thank for the info I'll see if I can get a clutch for my project

I agree with Tomo. Matched clutches are the way to go. Rigging or milling an exhisting clutch can work, and I have done it and made it work but the shifting wasn't perfect.
    A few years back I picked up a Max4 and it had a comet unit out of a small go cart, it was a dog and could barely mud at all, It was only after I switched clutches that the machine performed as designed.

Should I use the clutches from the side by side the motor came out of the only way to get the argo clutch to work would be to try to adapet the argo clutch to the honda motors shaft
    Last edited by duck 690; 12-10-2013 at 02:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread