Escargo and Adair Tracks comparison

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Escargo and Adair Tracks comparison

Quote Originally Posted by foxvalley View Post
    I also believe it to be extremly difficult to throw a track,as I have been trying to do just that for the last couple of years. I believe that if you are not running enough tire presure in the tires,that the possiblity of this happening increases greatly.
    I also believe that there is very little chance of sidewall issues,as I have neither heard of or experienced any wear whatsoever on the sidewalls.
    The pro series has a shorter, heavier grosser to accomodate narrow trail use,for example, guys like RD getting thru between trees in the trail,etc.
    I am still a big fan of the 18" chain tracks,and had a real hard time being convinced otherwise,but the pro series,with the addition of the winter kits,is much more aggessive not only on ice,but in the deep swamps where submerged logs are a non issue for the steel cleats.

Buzz, I think it's great that you are doing a comparison between the two types of tracks,however, if you want to do a fair comparison, either put on the winter kits on the pro series, or take off the steel grossers on your rig.
    Reference throwing a track: I purchased my Argo Frontier with a set of 25" rawhideIII tires and a set of Adair tracks, I also ran a set of the second Generation Adair tracks with the 24" Argo swimmer tire and the 14.5 inch track.

I will be the first to tell you the 24" tire is much better suited to being tracked.

I did notice on a number of occasions that the track mounted with the 25" tires would roll left and right as you were going down the trail or in ruts or mud lanes. The rolling can be observed in a couple of my videos. When I switched to the 24" tires with the more square narrow design the rolling absolutely went away and the ride quality of the 24" tires was far superior to the 25" tires.

As long as you keep the 24" tire aired up properly it would be very difficult to walk out of them although on occasion I did have some issues in very soft mud with roots and tree limbs. The main thing is to keep the tires properly inflated and you should never have an problem losing a track with the more squared off tires.
    Having said that if you ever did walk out of a track it's not a big deal to put them back on as long as you have an air pump with you to deflate and inflate the tires.

@Foxvalley, with flat tracks the addition of steel cleats may well help with traction, but also majorly increases weight and since the traction remains on the ground at all times it would make it very difficult to turn especially loaded and very much so in the spring, summer and fall seasons.
    with an elevated belt design you can add some additional traction and yet have the ability to turn as it will be off the ground when not in the deep mud or skeg! aside from that it will increase the swim factor of that type of track.

Rock

on the straight and narrow-
    if you look at the profile of the track crossers, you'll see that some are very flat and square on the bottom (escargo...even more beneficial w/square tires but even round tires work very well)...while other tracks are much more rounded where the tire rides (adair). Either way, I agree that square tires might help a little in theory, but the stability of the guides in an elevated belt track is what makes it very difficult to throw. It also doesn't require a tremendous amount of tension/high tire pressures to "try" to help keep the guides (which depend on high belt tension) from tilting or folding over. Riding around with high air pressures sucks. It's also a good way to pop tires. Even if a track with ground-level belting is very tight, it can still have its guides tilted, folded over, and driven out of. The high tension and minimal (almost non existent) track sag recommended with a pro series install can't be good for your corner hub flanges or corner bearings...tire slipping that is required arguably becomes more difficult as track tension goes up....just something to think about. Remember, we're talking about adair vs. escargo. Not rubber tracks and their "high friction". We're talking about smooth, individual crossers that can slip. The escargo has cleats that can self-adjust and require far less track tension, while the pro has crossers than cannot self adjust but require higher track tension. But at least they're smooth. It doesn't help that the skinny belts on the pro don't offer much resistance to twisting. All it takes is the right situation with the right amount of side load on the tracks, and you can peel them right off. Lighter machines with only 3 axles or very small tires can keep them on a little better (as long as they're tight)...but it can still happen....especially if you accidentally forget to "completely brake" your inside track. I've heard that excuse too. These are just things that happen.....and realistic factors to consider when you actually drive and use your machine heavily loaded or in bad conditions.
    It is what it is, I'm sorry. Tire shape is simply not the problem, or a good excuse. Cranking the tension up still doesn't offer reliable solution either.

It would be easy to make a thick durable looking track crosser, connect it with heavy duty belting, (after all escargo does and has successfully for quite some time), and assume it's going to work really well. Shoot it should be bouyant too, right? Well, you're forgetting the most important aspect of the escargo track...the elevated belt. That's why it works so well especially with aggressive traction.
    Heavy-duty rubber belts are very well suited to an "elevated belt" design, because the guides are affixed here....the belt is not going to stretch....so your guides simply cannot move or fold...each guide cannot move farther away from its neighbor....in either direction.
    With very rounded tires, a lot of weight and cargo, and horrible sidehilling/turning conditions, I still cannot drive out of my escargo track.

Can a pro series style track be made with a much more "square" tire area? I was curious and mentioned this awhile back? There is only so much remaining plastic "hinge" wall thickness left nearest the tire...before there is nothing connecting the guide to the cleat at all?
    Square tires might help a little....lotsa air pressure tries to help...having only 6 axles or small tires might help...but none of these are the answer. Especially when you can't get away from "plowing" the belt. Sometimes the track simply does not want to turn...but your tires..and your machine..does.
    The answer is in the guide-stablility and non-belt-plowing of an elevated belt track. If you expect it to be reliable in the backcountry anway. Some people don't need..or want that. Some of us do though.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-02-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Wow Buzz, I think we should all leave the forum and let you answer all the questions because it seems that no matter what some else says or what their experience you aways seem to have a better answer.

So should I keep the Adair Tracks or try something else.
    Acta non verba

I respect your opinion.
    It's not about knowing it all. It's about giving all the information after trying multiple tracks on multiple machines. Sometimes people tend to make excuses or blow smoke, which I've never felt is right.

These are simply track threads.

[QUOTE=jerseybigfoot;164547]So should I keep the Adair Tracks or try something else

if they work where you ride I would say you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    So should I keep the Adair Tracks or try something else.
    If the tracks work in the conditions like what we see in your vid. Then why go to something else. The conditions Buzz and a lot of others on here play in are a little more extreme. Sorry but, just doing donuts in the front yard. does not empress me. I did that with my old plastic track.

But I must say, I sure do like the speed your little unit has It makes my conquest look like a turtle.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Tucker View Post
    Sorry but, just doing donuts in the front yard. does not empress me.
    I think the point of the video was just to show that tracks will work on a machine with suspension. I'm sure Marc will be showing some more videos in some more extreme conditions soon.

I just showed my grandson the vid and he wants me to do the same with the conquest. I must admit its pretty slick. And Marc has done a very nice job on her. You never know some day you may see argo coming out with a suspension. It just may be the thing that turns the rough ridding argo into something that is really enjoyable to ride.

Closed Thread