Stubborn Argo clutch removal - DIY pullers for primary and secondary clutches

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stubborn Argo clutch removal - DIY pullers for primary and secondary clutches

Stubborn Argo clutch removal - DIY pullers for primary and secondary clutches

I recently had to remove both clutches from my Argo response 99, with 18hp briggs vanguard.

It seemed that they have never been removed before. I've tried what has been recommended by Rock Doctor and others on this great site - didn't work for me.

I've ended up spending half an hour making custom pullers.

Primary:

Weld straight or U - shaped piece of metal (depends on the depth needed to start the nut) across the nut, and then use the tread on the clutch end to pull it off the shaft by slightly undo holding bolt (or few inserts into the bolt hole if bolt is absent, as it was in my case).

Argo_Clutch_Puller_1.jpg

Argo_Clutch_Puller_2.jpg

After you're done, simply grind off welds to reuse the nut.

Secondary:

I've drilled and tapped 3 holes (5/32" coarse) in the aluminum base. Drill deep holes, at least 3/4", and tap all the way. Then I have used regular balancer puller to take it off the shaft. Better use Stainless Steel hardware as they are stronger than regular hardware of mild steel.

IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3920.jpg

IMG_3921.jpg

Both worked great. Given how hard it was to pull them off the shaft, I would not be able to take them off without damaging clutches, engine or transmission.

Hope this will help someone to save some time
    Last edited by Mike; 12-27-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: moved thread from Argo forum to Transmission forum as it will help members with other models as well

Nice writeup and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thank God for this post. Been trying to get the secondary off an old 8x8 i/c that someone hammered onto the shaft 20 years ago. Balancer puller and some love taps on the back side with an air hammer and a wood block to loosen it up. Fought me all the off the shaft but it worked. I know this is an old thread but a good one to bring up again

+ Reply to Thread