Best performance mod for 23hp vanguard

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best performance mod for 23hp vanguard

Best performance mod for 23hp vanguard

Looking to modify the vanguard 23 in my max 2. Seeing many options like rev kits, mikuni carbs and heads on this mud buggy site: http://www.mudbuddy.com/Performance%20Engine%20Parts.htm

Curious as to what you guys recommend for the best bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance.

I put a performance cam and a Rev Kit in a 18hp Vanguard, and removed the governor,,, phenomenal performance! Be carful not to over rev,,, a rev limiter from 600 racing will tame your heavy foot, or gripping hand in our case!!

Also a lil head work, like cleaning up the welds in the intake side, and slightly enlarging the exhaust ports as well and finish it off by polishing, but just the exhaust side. The head work is the cheapest if you do it yourself. There is a lot of power and or torque to be had with our engines with small modifications.

Last but not least,,, do a search here on the site for info, like this one started by site member Jpswift, : http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...ification.html .
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Heads, timing, cam and carb are the easiest. billet rods will keep it together if there's control issues

HI,
    1/ 4000 rpm limit Timing key way , valve spring ,valve spring shims ,HD valve retainers , HD steel rockers and a heavy duty starter motor if not already fitted .

2/ Rev limit 5600rpm
    include all of above
    remove governor ,new cam 600 racing ,steel pushrods ,rev limit unit ,pistons and conrods optional ,[change carb jets ],change exhaust valve to a single piece unit

3/ above 5600 rpm all components to be upgraded both inlet and exhaust valves changed with 3way valve cut

4/carby option single Mukuni vm33 [has an accelerator pump ]

5/apart from cleaning up castings ,trim valve guide ,match ports ,aftermarket valves with a 3 way valve grind ,the only way a port can be modified is with results measured on a dyno . Most likely u will loose throttle response ,have poor fuel consumption and have the torque/ hp where u do not want it in the rpm band .

tomo

The mikuni TM33 flatside has the accelerator pump, 36mm for a 23hp up to 6K. 40 after that

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    The mikuni TM33 flatside has the accelerator pump, 36mm for a 23hp up to 6K. 40 after that
    How much $$ we talking for that?

I would go with the 36mm, its a chunk of cash but it will follow you though your up grades. otherwise i think i have a 32mm with pump N spigot for 150.00, has about two hrs run time on it. i can post a picture of it in the morning if that helps ya.

36mm
    carb 300.00
    adapter to intake 100.00
    spigot mount 20.00

New Mikuni Flat Slide 36mm 4 Stroke Carburetor Pump | eBay

Give Al a call at Performance V-Twins.

Performance V-Twins
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Hi, My name is john and I am building a G16 golf cart with a 23 HP vanguard engine in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick1775 View Post
    Looking to modify the vanguard 23 in my max 2. Seeing many options like rev kits, mikuni carbs and heads on this mud buggy site: http://www.mudbuddy.com/Performance%...ne%20Parts.htm

Curious as to what you guys recommend for the best bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance.
    Replace it with a Kohler engine. I will never own another B&S 23hp, have had two and they were more trouble than they were worth.

+ Reply to Thread