Max2 23hp Kohler exhaust & brushfire prevention

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max2 23hp Kohler exhaust & brushfire prevention

Max2 23hp Kohler exhaust & brushfire prevention

I've a 2008 max2 23hp Kohler with the rear exit exhaust.

Is there any info anyone can share about this exhaust setup & potential to ignite vegetation while driving. Maintenance of spark arresters, whether it complies with US Forestry regulations, modifications... that kind of thing? Thanks for any help.

Any good spark arrestor will be stamped for Gov approval.

Cheers Nubs, thanks very much. Are there any other modifications you've heard of that can lessen the chances of igniting vegetation we're driving through, I've not heard of healthy aatv's starting one but also not sure I would have?

I can't comment on the potential of igniting a fire but there are exhaust deflector / spark arrestor kits that you can purchase. Most of them are just a screen attached to your exhaust pipe and to service them, all you do is clean the carbon deposits off the screen every 100 hours. Here are a few versions: Mufflers and Exhaust Parts Kohler Engines

Assuming you have a rear exit exhaust on your Max and not a side exit, I think it would be fairly easy to attach a screen to the exhaust extension that sticks out of the back of the body and is held on with springs. I pictured being able to use something like this: Champion Generator Spark Arrestor Kit 1200 3000 3500 4000 4500 5000 5500 6000 | eBay I didn't check the diameter of that screen but was just using it as an example.

The only downside I see is that the screen will get stopped up with mud if you ride in that type of environment as a Max II's exhaust pipe enters the water/mud when you are floating.

Thanks Mike, it is a rear exit exhaust & I can see how climbing out of water would put it well under.
    I assume the sparks are carbon deposits coming loose & the screen stops them, I've heard talk of "back-fire" being a potential ignition source, unburnt fuel igniting in the muffler & "torching" out & not sure if there is a way of controlling that if it were to happen? Would you have any thoughts on modifying the exhaust to a vertical "tractor" style & would increasing the tailpipe length affect back pressure & engine health?

+ Reply to Thread