anyone know the history on this racer?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: anyone know the history on this racer?

i couldn't really get the brake to move... and i don't know anything about attexs. i assume the brake is the lever to the left of the drivers seat? it is in the back position and i couldn't get it to move forward.
    yes it has been sitting for a while... the guy said he bought it 8 years ago and hasn't touched it... didn't know any history. as for the axles... i'll probably get it going this summer and play for a while. once winter comes around and my shop empties out (lawn mower season is in full swing) i'll gut it and start figuring out what direction to go. are the 1.25's hard to make? i plan to make my own wheel adaptors anyway. other than welding them on it's just drilling some holes for sprockets right. i've seen the post about using max bearings and flanges. doesn't look too tough
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

An original ST/400 racer......WOW, what a find! BUY IT, BUY IT BUY IT ASAP! I can't believe how good of condition it is in too. I can only imagine what stories that machine would tell if it could talk. Again, that is an amazing find!
    As far as the 1.25" axle conversion goes, I would say that it is very easy and straight forward. Whipper's jig for the conversion makes everything a breeze. I just did my green poly body Attex and it was a very easy process. Keep us posted on the build when you get it home.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Did the owner say where he bought it from 8 years ago? I just wondered if it was from up North or if the previous owner was around here.

jp, i'm on it... i'll be picking it up in the next few weeks.
    mike, he bought it at an estate auction... doesn't really know the history. i'm going to look through whippers vids tonight. i'm thinking a yankee racer moved south and couldn't leave it behind
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

i'm going to make some wheel adaptors and put 5 lugs on this thing. i've seen some that are just flat with holes and some that have a tube running back to the ring on the axle like the old balloon tires did. should i build them with the tubes or not? also, anyone remember where the pattern is posted on here? thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by racerone3 View Post
    should i build them with the tubes or not?
    If you don't support the flange somehow, you'll eventually break some. The large tube works, or you can weld gussets from the adapter to the original 1" tube.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

thanks don. that's kind of what i was thinking (contrary to what richard clark once told me). the balloon tires are junk, so i thought about cutting them the rest of the way off the tubes and then using the tubes for my adaptors. might even use the tread of the balloon tires to make some of those tracks i've seen posts about and put them on the terra tiger

Cool. I'll be interested to see if the old treads will work as tracks. Congrats on picking up the old race machine, it looks like a great project. The number was issued in late 1971 or early 1972 the best I can guess, but I don't see it listed in my newsletters and haven't checked my old vids yet.

Don
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

thanks for looking into it don. i really want to find out about this old machine. well... guess i better go pick her up

+ Reply to Thread