Polaris re-invents the off-road again

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Polaris re-invents the off-road again

I have amphibs, a utv, and a 4 wheeler. I've pirated some of the features I liked from the 4 wheeler and utv into mods for my amphibs. The newer machines are more innovative, in general. Just imagine a factory amphib with that Polaris engine and controls. Not to mention a nicely padded adjustable seat.
    I agree with Brandon that we need more innovation from amphib manufacturers to get back to the head of the pack. Just imagine how many units would sell if someone could come to the market with an $8000.00 new machine. Its possible. I challenge the AATV industry to inspire by design again like they once did.

To me it's likely due in part to all the deaths and so forth from rollovers and back flips of ATV/quads.

As the 3 wheelers got abandoned due to safety concerns so shall be the demise of the ATV/quad and subsequently replaced with said new machine.

I forget where I read it but I did read something that they where talking about mandating roll cages for quads and it was laughed at. Well boys...it's HERE and HERE NOW.

Regardless I can see this as the future of ATV'ing seeing as Gooberment's like to mandate safety when in reality it's not their job it's the end users too stupid do do so!
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

id rather roll a quad than burn in a polaris RZR.....
    and their are many others, very scary
    Last edited by wfo; 01-25-2014 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    To me it's likely due in part to all the deaths and so forth from rollovers and back flips of ATV/quads.

As the 3 wheelers got abandoned due to safety concerns so shall be the demise of the ATV/quad and subsequently replaced with said new machine.

I forget where I read it but I did read something that they where talking about mandating roll cages for quads and it was laughed at. Well boys...it's HERE and HERE NOW.

Regardless I can see this as the future of ATV'ing seeing as Gooberment's like to mandate safety when in reality it's not their job it's the end users too stupid do do so!
    You're right that roll over protection might be required in the future as I believe it is already required in some countries. I don't like to see new requirements or restrictions forced on us but a roll cage is a good idea for these new ATVs that are much heavier and more powerful than they have ever been. The new Sportsman ACE almost seems like that's the way it should have been done in the beginning. It has the safety of a full cage and seat belt, comfort of a real seat and backrest, and very easy to get into. All that and it's the same width as a Sportsman quad and only 7" longer. I can't wait to drive one.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Here is my take. I ride 6x6’s because they are fun, unique, and inexpensive. They are extremely easy to work on with little skills involved, I don’t have to go to a service center to have anything done and if I have a question I have years of knowledge and know how right here at my fingertips. I have been in this hobby for exactly one year and as of last Saturday I own three. I am not going to say that one is better than the other because as others have stated they both have good attributes, but for me, I would not be in the hobby if the cheapest price for either was 7500 dollars. That kind of money might be cost effective if I were buying one for a business related reason but for a few rides a year that is just crazy to me. It seems to me that one of the reasons why (as stated in some of the articles on this site) that the 6x6 was slowly pushed out of the market by the four-wheelers is because they cost less money than a 6x6. It may never be possible but I truly think that a 6x6 in the 1500-2000 dollar range would sell like hot cakes. Lastly it seems to me that the 6x6 world is a lot more mature in the way they go about things which leads to a lot more fun at the rides with a minimum of the drama that you find with the younger crowd. I am just fine with the way things are.
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

If this new ATV sells well and causes the public to demand more places to ride it, our group will benefit from it.
    Banned

In Michigan out annoying the neighbors in something that has a motor in it!
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    If this new ATV sells well and causes the public to demand more places to ride it, our group will benefit from it.
    I 2nd that George!

I'm paraphrasing here, not sure who said it!

"If you like your 4x4, you can keep your 4x4!"
    "If you like your 6x6, you can keep your 6x6!"

The sport needs everyone.

OK.... those 8x8's too!
    The trouble with retirement is.... I never get a day off !!!!

Last edited by Model Citizen; 07-12-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Model Citizen View Post
    Seeing those videos is so sad. So many different off-road vehicles to have fun with out here, but something like what happened at Glamis is not fun to see.
    They weren't rollovers, so what happened?

Bridget
    Yep it is a fairly common thing out there in Glamis from all the articles I read that a vehicle blows up or burns down. I think at least one burns each year at the Highlifter Mud Nationals event in Texas. The story behind the Rzr 4 burning is that it was carrying a spare gas can which leaked out due to the heat and wild ride and ignited on the hot exhaust. I don't remember if that was from the video author or a forum I read. Some of them do burn just from the extreme heat from running hard in the dunes and it's normal for the exhaust manifolds to glow red (especially the turbo'ed vehicles). Any debris or material gets near it and POOF! These videos are convincing more and more people to carry a fire extinguisher, I usually do.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRules View Post
    Any debris or material gets near it and POOF!
    Leafs can bunch up near the exhaust and ignite a fire. We added an exhaust wrap and it worked fine.

+ Reply to Thread