Changing Tracks - MAX II & Buffalo - advice needed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Changing Tracks - MAX II & Buffalo - advice needed

Changing Tracks - MAX II & Buffalo - advice needed

We were changing the tracks for MAX II and Buffalo and understood why the manual strongly recommended to do it with two people. Has anyone did it alone? - please do share some tips in case I will have to do it myself with only two female hands available. Would be grateful for any useful advice,
    Irena
    A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's: She changes it more often.
    Oliver Herford

I have done my tracks on various machines several times alone. Once you get the process down, its not bad. What I do is to place the tracks on the tires (machine jacked up) then run what I term a cheater strap a couple grousers below and above the area to be joined together, then I take a 16" long piece of pipe 1/2" diameter. I then attach the pipe to the strap and turn it like a tourniquet. It works best when you place the strap off center and secure one of the sides, then move the strap over and do the other.

I do tracks by myself all the time. Remove the center tire, deflate front and rear tires and removing cores. In the field I wrap a rope around the tire and crush them with a stick twisting the rope. Put caps back on to keep tires crushed. Place the track over front or rear tire the trick is push it all the way to the body before trying to roll onto tires. Once it's on the front n rear tires remove caps so tires will inflate by them selves and install center tire. Set tire pressure to 6 psi with Goodyear tires and 10 psi with the Carlisle at101. Two people make it easier but it can be done.

Thank you both very much! Very Helpful! And how do you take them off?
    Oliver Herford

To remove I just undo the bolts on each side of the track, its the going on that takes more effort.

I asume your tracks are solid rubber tracks 1997 or newer. I deflate the front and rear tire and unbolt either front or rear and pull the wheel off the studs. Tracks just fall off. Of corse the side your working needs to be lifted. If you have a roll cage and winch I winch to a tree and the roll cage and lift one side when in the field.

Yes, they are reinforced rubber tracks with aluminum tire guides. Many thanks again for your tips! Very helpful!
    Oliver Herford

If changing tracks at home I use a shop to deflate the front and back tires completely by removing the valve stem core then after all the air is out put the cap on. I put tracks on and take em off this way. Still kind of tough to roll on and off but best way I've found for the max factory tracks.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone9 View Post
    If changing tracks at home I use a shop to deflate the front and back tires completely by removing the valve stem core
    This is a great idea. I struggled trying to put the tracks on myself even when using a rachet stap to squeeze and compress the tire. Sucking the air out with a vacuum makes it very easy. I used these Shop Vac micro tools to fit over the valve stem:
    Shop Vac Micro-cleaning - Amazon.com

Glad I could help. Be sure and keep an eye on tire pressure too with the real cold temps 3 lbs of pressure goes down to 0 real fast and the your tracks might come off. Guess how I know this.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

+ Reply to Thread