35HP Vanguard Mods?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 35HP Vanguard Mods?

Damn Bro! I have a new found appreciation for these V-twins after watching those clips!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywoodc View Post
    Damn Bro! I have a new found appreciation for these V-twins after watching those clips!
    Ohhh Yeah!!!! V-twins are the truth for torque and Hp.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

I tried hooking up the $25 Harbor Frieght Tach the other day and I did get a resposne. I Mickey rigged it just to see if it would work. The instructions say to connect to the distributor, the tach is for a 4,6,8 Cylinder engine.
    I kept the switch at 4 cyl., then try wrapping the Distributor wire around the Spark plug wire. I turned the Engine over and got the gauge to climb.
    Question:
    Being that its made for a 4 cyl. engine, does this mean that it will only be reading half of the actual amount, double, or am I good?

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    Kinda boring but shows the tach pretty good, same chassis and 23hp engine but different cart. runnin' Team clutches

Golf Cart Racing - YouTube

This is My pulling tractor with a 23hp Vanguard, its runs 8,500 under full load

Creekside Dream 9-13-13 exhibition run 21/23 gear w 20% underdrive - YouTube

sic...absolutly....nuts....I LOVE IT
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

hi Hollywoodc ,
    Typically on a vanguard u need a programmable tacho
    12345678910 cylinder selectable
    DIS distributorless ignition system selectable
    2-4 stroke selectable
    A popular tacho with vanguard engines is the equis brand
    If u have fitted another style of tacho it should read around a 1000rpm at idle or u can check engine rpm with an infared noncontact tacho

tomo

Been awhile since I've posted an update. So I wanted to touch base on whats been going on.
    So I got the .060 Shims, installed them and adjusted the valves to .003.

I had a few jets that I tried with the needle clip set in the center groove.
    Took it for a few spins to try and read the plugs.
    Seemed like it felt best at take off and mid range with a 45 pilot.
    But as for the Main jet, The engine kept bogging down before I could get to full throttle, about 3/4.
    I started with 180 and the plug looked Rich and still bogged down at WOT.
    Worked my way down through the jets I had 170, 165, 160, 155. It all bogged down close to Full throttle but 155 felt like it picked up to the most speed before bogging down.
    I don't have any more jets under 155 and when I pulled the plugs, the rear cylinder plug ceramic looked pretty good dark tan but the front Cylinder looked a bit hotter, white Ceramic.

Im starting to get frustrated and confused with the tuning. I don't have the tach yet but I don't think Im getting up to over 4000 RPMS. But the valves are floating rather then the bogging being a jetting problem. I don't really know what valve float should feel like.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Im going to hook up the cheap Harbor freight Tach that I have and see if I can pull some RPM numbers before I go further with changing jets.

It'll start to miss when the valves float, kinda like hittin' a rev limiter, 40mm roundslide is to small for a 1000cc's IMO. the fact that you said the slide was sticking open from the vacuum is good sign it can't get the air it needs. it running better with a smaller main jet is another sign it can't get the air/fuel mix it needs. A 1000cc Sportster engine won't roll up on anything smaller than a 42mm roundslide Mikuni.
    Ya need to get a tach so ya really know what your spinnin' but the stock valve springs will run @ 4K without any problem. if it feels like your sticking your hand over the carb @ 3/4 throttle then its runnin' outta air

once you get it to breath right this is a great little add-on to tweak it in on the fly

Thunder Products - Performance carburetor and clutching for snowmobiles, motorcycles and ATVs.
    Last edited by Nubs; 03-08-2014 at 06:33 AM.

That sounds like its right about what you said, like im covering the carb at 3/4.

Maybe I'll take the carb to my buddies machine shop and bore it out to 42mm and give it a shot.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks Nubs.

Offset Bored the carb to 42mm today.
    Put a 170 main in and a 45 pilot.
    Still bogging down at 3/4 throttle but the plugs show the rear cylinder on the slightly rich side and the front on the lean side hot, white ceramic.

It's gotta be the valves floating I'm thinking!
    I'm gonna add the other set of shims that Al hodge sent me. He sent me (2) sets of .060 shims. He said to add one set and adjust it to .003.
    But I may need 2 sets.

We'll so much for riding tomorrow. Back to the garage.

Update: I noticed today that the engine is Bogging down at only Half throttle, not 3/4. There is still alot more to go on the pedal.
    So would this mean its a Needle issue?

My Buddy is a seadoo mechanic and he told me about a Digital Tach they use on them for about $35. Im gonna look into them tomorrow.
    Last edited by Hollywoodc; 03-09-2014 at 06:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread