escargo tracks weight

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: escargo tracks weight

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I use my argo as a fishing boat and as a means of getting to the swamp/marsh /pond/water hole/lake that I will be fishing from . Once on water , I use a 6 hp. engine to get around . My main concern is will these tracks reduce stability or set the machine to low in the water ?
    There are a few videos you can see on you tube of Avengers swimming with these tracks. In some of the videos they put as much as 300 lbs in the rear to level the machine. Those vids are on the Beaver Dam Argo web site. Depending on how many people and gear you plan to take might be a factor, but these machines can take 700 lbs+ in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    There are a few videos you can see on you tube of Avengers swimming with these tracks. In some of the videos they put as much as 300 lbs in the rear to level the machine. Those vids are on the Beaver Dam Argo web site. Depending on how many people and gear you plan to take might be a factor, but these machines can take 700 lbs+ in the water.
    the track adds equal weight to the entire machine to balance the load. Any "attitude adjustment" of the machine will be strictly because it already floats that way prior to tracks...OR...because you are riding in the front with nothing in the back. If you're going to use your machine as a boat, then my advice would be to operate your trolling motor from the rear (standard operating procedure) and fish from the back too. You'll float perfectly level w/o the need to add additional weight. You can also drive from the rear to float level. All tracks...regardless of their weight, affect the floating attitude of the machine equally. Where you put your butt or your cargo will determine how level you float beyond that. You'll float slightly lower with a steel track...but it's not enough to make a difference in what you're talking about.

22" Escargo tracks to fit a HDI with 25/12-9 tires with 5" spacing and 43 crossers per track weigh 312 pounds (156 each)
    18" argo rubber tracks weigh 325 pounds per set. That's 13 pounds more than Escargo's.
    I couldent find the weight for adair tracks. My best guess, not going to make a uneducated guess.

Whis weekend I had my wife, daughter, son in law and 2 grand kids on board and on a cleared road I got it going 30kmph on the speedo. That's the same speed the machine will run bear foot without tracks. I didn't see what the GPS read for actual travel speed. So in my estimation the tracks don't rob much if any power from the machine.

Weight no matter where it comes from will not reduce stability if it's evenly distributed. Track weight is on the lower portion of your machine and if anything will make you more stable in the water. With a Escargo trackers machine yout top of track is still above water and the forward motion will be the same as any open crosser designe track. The fact to take into consideration is that the Escargo will out preform the other track design in almost situations.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jOpOk-KQS6Y

This clip from beaver dam argo shows how they swim with a winter kit. (Winter kit is about 80 pounds more) You will notice 7 or 8 gallons of water in the back for balist. That's 70-80 pounds.

The machine will float just fine with Escargo tracks and a couple extra passengers. I have not yet ran my tracks in the water but when I do I will clock the speed on the GPS.

whenever you do get some liquid water to test your tracks, find the track speed "sweet spot" which is on the lower end. I like it when the tracks just start to "burble" as they come around the rear tire. Sometimes a bit more, but don't start throwing water up from the rear tire. And jump in the back (all argos ride nose heavy in the water) to bring the front end up. You don't need to put hundreds of pounds of weight in the back. This actually works very well with an Avenger like yours.

I'LL give you a weight as soon as my tracks are delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    not too many videos of avengers with the larger cleats on youtube. A few of the videos from Beaver dam and adair are showing frontier 8x8's I believe with the smaller crossers (and more crossers on the track in the old configuration) and questionable driving styles.....right or wrong as they might be.
    Argo advertises the Avenger's water payload @ 1000 lbs.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-02-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Thank you all , your information is much appreciated .

Found this video looks like the older heavier Escargo tracks with winter kit, Argo climbing through water Hyacinth (Australia) with 3 men on board
    Argo, Swamps are NO challenge! - YouTube Title: Argo Swamps are no challenge

just when you think you've found everything on youtube! Thanks for the video

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I use my argo as a fishing boat and as a means of getting to the swamp/marsh /pond/water hole/lake that I will be fishing from . Once on water , I use a 6 hp. engine to get around . My main concern is will these tracks reduce stability or set the machine to low in the water ?
    The answer is no,, escargo tracks weigh 25" tire set 156lbs per side; 24" tire set 139lbs per side; Argo rubber tracks weigh 163lbs per side 24" or 25" tires
    argo wouldn't allow tracks on their machines if they couldn't be buoyant and somewhat stable in water.
    Info gathered via the internet

Rock

+ Reply to Thread