escargo tracks weight

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: escargo tracks weight

escargo tracks weight

Hey just looking for some imput.Does anybody knoe what these escargo tracks weigh? ??? I myself have a set of 18 inch Adair tracks thst used to belong to RD.I am very happy with.My hunting buddy tried to 1 up me and ordered a set of escargo tracks.I had to pick them up as he lives out of town.Wow I think I passed a stone lifting these tracks. They are way heavier than Adair or argo plastic tracks. I think they are goin rob lots of power from the conquest. Any imput? ????

145-ish I believe for the larger cleats for 12" wide tires. Crossers on 5-inch centers. Maybe a bit more when wider belts are used.
    Don't go and pass a stone now.
    Trying to move around any track is more awkward than anything as there's no good way to get ahold of it. They do pack up smaller than a rubber-style track that's for sure.
    Remember you're machine is riding "on" at least half of that weight, and the track provides a gear reduction. The tracks provide relief between the cleats and the tire tread as they constantly break contact and adjust as necessary.
    So as far as the machine's power to climb and pull, it will do better especially because it can put that power to the ground. Use track tuners and you'll be able to use high range effectively too. As effectively as 20 hp can provide. You'll have lower gearing all around.
    Rubber tracks probably weigh as much and require much more power in every situation.
    Last edited by Buzz; 03-01-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Will the weight of these tracks negatively affect deep water performance/buoyancy ?

Any extra weight will effect the performance in water. The lower the argo sits in the water the more water you have to push out of the way to move forward. The argo will float but it is not a good boat design. It is just too front heavy. You can put a floatation device in the front rims to help with floatation if you are doing a lot of water traveling. Or go to a outboard motor. The Escargo tracks have a nice paddle that will give good performance in water. But again its only to get you from point A too point B.

The weight of these tracks will not prevent your machine from working very effectively in the water if that's what you're asking. A heavy machine in general or a ton of cargo weight will certainly have more of an effect as Old Tucker describes. All-uhmw tracked machine (they still have belting/hardware weight) + you as driver......is equivalent to an all-steel escargo tracked vehicle with you driving + (1) man-sized passenger. And when you track your machine....at least it naturally balances the load of the steel crossers. Does a heavier battery negatively affect the deep water performance and buoyancy? Maybe "no" isn't the right answer for the stone throwers... So I'll say "yes"....But it's not enough to #1 worry about or #2 make a difference.
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-28-2014 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    No, the weight of these tracks will not prevent your machine from working very effectively in the water if that's what you're asking. A heavy machine in general or a ton of cargo weight will certainly have more of an effect as Old Tucker describes. All-uhmw tracked machine (they still have belting/hardware weight) + you as driver......is equivalent to an all-steel escargo tracked vehicle with you driving + (1) man-sized passenger. And when you track your machine....at least it naturally balances the load of the steel crossers.
    I feel dumber just reading this. After 3 times through, it still sounds to me that you are claiming that the heavier steal tracks provide more flotation than the lighter uhmd tracks in water. Increased weight without increased water displacement will always = less flotation. If your goal is to help inform people, can we use clear facts or at least opinion based on supported facts.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Well gee....maybe I'll go back and reposition the word "no" in case you don't take the time to read the helpful information. I said the extra weight will not prevent the track from working effectively. That's what the poster was concerned about in my mind. I apologize if it doesn't make sense. Do the steel crossers weigh more than uhmw crossers....yes. The steel is seen as additional payload in the water yes...but it's only equivalent to the weight of a grown-sized man over an all-uhmw track.

On ground, a wider track with wider belts provides more floatation.....lowering the ground pressure....than a narrow track. And it cleans out better as it has more open space between the belts. Just makes for a wider wheelbase.

Facts.
    What machine and tracks are you using...for comparison's sake?
    Last edited by Buzz; 02-27-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    lucky for us, it's very clear. I said the extra weight will not prevent the track from working effectively. I apologize if it doesn't make sense. The steel crosser weigh more yes. They have more payload in the water yes...but it's only equivalent to the weight of a grown-sized man over an all-uhmw track.
    Thank you. That I understand in a clear fashion and I don't feel so dumb now.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I use my argo as a fishing boat and as a means of getting to the swamp/marsh /pond/water hole/lake that I will be fishing from . Once on water , I use a 6 hp. engine to get around . My main concern is will these tracks reduce stability or set the machine to low in the water ?

What tracks are you using?

+ Reply to Thread