I think I destroyed my 18 HP V TWIN Vanguard :(

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I think I destroyed my 18 HP V TWIN Vanguard :(

I think I destroyed my 18 HP V TWIN Vanguard :(

A few months ago I parked my Max IV with the choke pulled. I did not realize this would dump oil in the gas. It did and was smoking like crazy. This is a 18 hp V Twin VanGuard.
    I dumped the oil and changed it. Cranked it up and it ran great. This was a few months back. Today I crank the Max Iv up to move it a little. It cranks up easy I drive it maybe 100 yards it starts missing and dies. I hit the key.. Just a click.,, So I get my army jeep and pull it back close to a plug and hook up battery charger. I think hmmm must have a bad battery .. after all it was hooked to a charger when I started it. I charge it a while it barely cranks .... I pull the dip stick not a drop of oil on the stick!! I try to pull the crank rope it will not pull! I put a wrench on the engine but can not move it. Have I destroyed this engine??? Is it worth rebuilding ??? Not a good day at all im just sick.. and where did the oil go Thanks for any help.

Not sure how the oil would get out of it without it being seen somewhere, if it was dry then more than likely the connecting rods seized to the crankshaft. the cranks are tuff and can be cleaned up and reused, New rods, pistons rings, flywheel side bushing and gasket set will get ya back up and running. A shortblock would also work for You don't want to do the work yourself. a new shortblock would cost around 700.00

This is a Honda crankshaft but the cleanup is the same with muriatic acid and a crank polisher or emery cloth and some work.

Last edited by Nubs; 03-02-2014 at 03:36 AM.

correction..... i meant to say dump gas in the oil.. Thanks for the reply. A little confused is $700 what it would take to repair or cost of new engine minus starter carb ect?? Im confused.

Hello westkymaxiv, before you start to tear anything down see if you are leaking oil anywhere. Put the right amount of oil back in the crankcase and look for any leaks. Then if you do not find any leaks look at your starter. I had the same thing happen to me with my 18hp vanguard engine minus the oil issue. I thought that I seized up my engine I went to turn it over with the key and all it did was click. I then check the battery to se if maybe the battery was dead it was low with the charge so I put a charger on it. After letting it charge overnite went to start it again with the key and it still was clicking and nototh turning the engine over. I then went to try and turn it over with the recoil start and again it (the engine) would not crank. So I went to the starter to. See if maybe the bendix may have been bound up on the fly wheel, and so I just smacked it with a plastic hammer several times and after doing that I went to try the key again and low and behold she turned over and started right up. My bendix did jam up on the flywheel. I then found out that I have a nylon gear as the bendix that engages onto the fly wheel and I broke a tooth off of it and that what caused the jam-up so see if that might be the problem first
    Good Luck and I hope that is all it is,your fellow mud runner
    UJ The DisabledSportsman

Sorry, The 700.00 would be just the cost of the shortblock, meaning that You would need to reuse your heads, starter, flywheel etc and pay for the labor or do the work yourself.
    Where do you live?

Ok I will check that I did once also have the starter mess up and lock the engine once. I thought about that. But the scarry thing is no oil at all on dip stick.
    I live near Paducah Kentucky the Western end of the state.

I agree that one would want to look at the simple things first, I would think that any stuck starter gear would return or still allow the engine to turn some if Ya grabbed the drive clutch and rocked it back N forth.

hey westkymaxiv, i live in murray,ky. just for thought did you take air filter out and look at it by chance? did you take plugs out? if so are they oil covered? how long was it running b4 it quit? we had a brand new engine on a scag to do this and it had oil. long story short it took one big pry bar and a big ole pipe wrench took plugs out and worked it back and forth until i thought it would break free. seen guy back in summer and it was still going. hope it works out for ya. just sell it to me and buy a new one lol. just kidding wish you luck on it and maybe nothing major.

hey luffydog,
    now that you say you are in Murray instead of Paducah I can tell you Possum Trot I really havent got to look at it much as it is sitting out in the sleet storm. It maybe ran 3 minutes.
    Thanks for the reply.

it might have not ran long enough to get hot enough to seize tight. possum trot been thru there a few times. like others have said try small things first to worst things. like cheaper to higher. we got about 3in of or more along with about 8in of snow or so give or take. be a good day to get out and play. by the way you dont know where one is for sale do ya good shape and good price?
    Last edited by luffydog; 03-03-2014 at 01:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread