2 stroke kohler timing help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke kohler timing help

2 stroke kohler timing help

I have a hustler with the k440-2ax in it. I read that you are supposed to set the timing with a depth tool. I'm talking about adjusting the timing plate by finding tdc and checking the points opening. I kinda understand what to do and I have the tools. But the problem is I can't see my points with my flywheel on or adjust anything. If I take it off to adjust the plate then I can't turn my flywheel to get everything lined up. I'm stuck. Does this really need to be done or can I just line up my timing mark on the plate and the block. image.jpgimage.jpg

go to www.argoadventrue.com they have a manual there for your engine.

Thanks bud.

I checked out the manual. I found that one before and that is what confused me. It says turn your timing advance mechanism and check stator plate but my flywheel is almost solid. You can't see or do anything behind it without taking it off. I'm stumped.

Well if You or someone else have marked the two parts before it can just be returned to that spot and You'll be fine. Did it run before You worked on it?

All that you need is a continuity light to tell when the points are open, as far as setting the points if the cam on the flywheel is removable take it off the flywheel, slide on the crank and use it to set the air gap.

No it didn't run before because all the wiring was butchered. I got it running tonight pretty good. Now it's starting to miss likes it's just running on one cylinder again. It runs very rich. Burns your eyes. I've tried adjusting carb but can't really tell it's working. It's a walbro carb. Not sure if it's ignition or carb causing it. Was very responsive now very sluggish. Was always rich tho. Not sure what to do.

As far as the points gap. I did remove the cam and set the gap. But I can't figure out how to set the timing. It's probably easy I'm just not gettin it yet. Do you mean just a 12 volt light tester. Hook it up somehow and it will light up when points open.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris07 View Post
    As far as the points gap. I did remove the cam and set the gap. But I can't figure out how to set the timing. It's probably easy I'm just not gettin it yet. Do you mean just a 12 volt light tester. Hook it up somehow and it will light up when points open.
    No I mean a continuity light, it looks like a flashlight with two wires comlng out of it. Put one wire to ground and the other to the wire going to your #1 cyl. coil, when the points break the light will go out , if your timing marks line up your good to go, if they don't line up move the stator plate so they do then adjust the timing on cyl.#2 with the point gap and the continuity light on the coil wire for #2. Hope this helps.

That makes sense. Thanks. I'll do that I'm having a lot of issues with carb I think. Maybe timing not sure. It runs super rich. And even sprays fuel when I gas on it out the carb intake. I have to choke it about every time I start it to. Seems to open up fairly good. But most of the time doesn't idle and is always rich. Should I start with a carb cleaning. Oh and the carb can be turned, like the on ring is wore. Is this normal. I took it off and it looked ok.

+ Reply to Thread