Argo HD Bearings

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Argo HD Bearings

Argo HD Bearings

I remember watching Rock Doctor's videos on Argo HD bearings and have read some other comments a while back on here (can't find them now).

The Argo I use only does 25 hours a year roughly but operates in silt, mud and splashing around in salt water although it is thoroughly cleaned off every use and regularly greased.

What is the general consensus of thought on converting to HD bearings?

Does anyone use HD bearings in fine mud and seawater and have any useful advice?

Cheers

I too would like to hear from convertors (or ers) as to bearing life of the unsealed 72's over the externally sealed 62's. I've always liked the grease pocket in the double sealed aluminum flanges.

I've not had one fail yet on my Conquest that I remember, but have seen them faile on friends machines. I have had a couple axles spin inside the bearing race, which caused wear on the axles. The HD Bearings look bad/worse than the old style, in that they get rusty. I have seen the outer shields pop out a bit when greasing, but have always just given them a push to set the shield backk in place. I do ride in a lot of water and fine silt, but have no experience with Salt Water around Argo's.
    Is it worth converting over?............. I will convert my Daughters Conquest over eventually, but will wait untill the current bearings fail and will change them out as needed.
    From what I've seen happen to metal in the salt air along the coast.......... I might be tempted to stick with the older Aluminium Housings, although I have busted a few of those in my time too.
    Oh, almost forgot, I did have one HD Housing loosen up, so the bearing was sloppy in it. Bearing was fine, but had to change out the inner and outer carier (Housing)

PS, to stop the Inner Bearing Race from spinning on the Axle, I just dimpled the shafts with a drill bit to give the set screws a bit more bite, has worked so far.

RD you were one I was hoping to hear from, are you seeing hour wise differences or has it not been long enough?

I've seen 300 hours in sand with tracks on HD's which about the same as the 62's.

What I have seen so far is mostly the same issues Rock Doctor has mentioned. The HD bearings seem to be better for running tracks since they will handle a heavier side load due to the heavy duty flange. Overall they are an 'OK' bearing but nothing revolutionary. I really like the aluminum flange with double seals on the old bearings. You just can't protect a bearing much better than that. Argo should have built on that design and just made it tougher. If the new HD bearing fit tighter in the flange and had a greaseable oil seal over it, I think that would be the most durable bearing.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

The larger hdi style bearing is good, (uc207-20 r3)

However I like the earlier style set up using the alloy outer housing with the 2 lip seals.

I find the earlier style bearing arrangments are far better protected from the elements, I very rarely see a damaged housing or a bearing rusted to the axle.

On the hdi set up seized bearings onto the axle are much more common.

The hdi bearings when over greased will pop the seal, allowing dirt ingress, the earlier style is a lot better protected in my opinion.

I run both types of set up over in Scotland, however not in sand or salt water

Adair Argo has a set of hd bearings that mount with a kit to the outside of the shaft. I wonder if a anyone has experience with those??? I have new stock sized triple sealed bearings I got from Adair and I'm considering upgrading to their he set up for $80 per axle, what do you think?

I just finished putting on HD axles and HD bearings on the front of my 2004 Conquest. I used the kits from Adair and they were very easy to use and install. I will warn you guys that if you use the Adair kit make sure you sand off another 1" of paint off the new axle. The Adair kit has you install the bearing with the collar towards the outside and this coupled with the adapter plate will push the bearing out another 3/4" or so on the axle. This means even more support, however it cost me a bearing because I did not remove the 1" area of paint (was not told or aware). The bearing collar was locked very tight on the axle and I had to take everything apart and ended up damaging the bearing trying to get it off. The axle would not fully seat into the inner bearing because of the paint. I had to have a guy with a hydraulic press, press it off.

Tim and Mike were very helpful during the process and now I have the knowledge to change out the axles and bearings on my machine. The good thing is the hardest ones are done and I will replace the others as needed.

Thanks gents

Have just had to replace two bearings, stuck with the old style bearings for now as I did not want to start cutting the hull having read stories of bearings rusting on the axle and the shields having problems. Just a shame a hybrid had never been designed using a hd bearing but with a protective housing. Perhaps next time I need to replace a bearing on the axle extension I will get an Adair setup and convert that one axle extension to HD at least I can go back to old style if HD bearings don't mix with seawater and Morecambe Bay mud! Atleast my hinge kit arrives next week meaning can provide more regular maintenance on the existing bearings.

Just one more question is it possible to remove front axles without lifting out engine?

Cheers Adam

Quote Originally Posted by bradders13 View Post
    Thanks gents

Have just had to replace two bearings, stuck with the old style bearings for now as I did not want to start cutting the hull having read stories of bearings rusting on the axle and the shields having problems. Just a shame a hybrid had never been designed using a hd bearing but with a protective housing. Perhaps next time I need to replace a bearing on the axle extension I will get an Adair setup and convert that one axle extension to HD at least I can go back to old style if HD bearings don't mix with seawater and Morecambe Bay mud! Atleast my hinge kit arrives next week meaning can provide more regular maintenance on the existing bearings.

Just one more question is it possible to remove front axles without lifting out engine?Cheers Adam

Yes,
    you need to be a bit of a contortionist, but it's not too bad of a job.

RD

+ Reply to Thread