tecumseh engine swap and pully removal need help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: tecumseh engine swap and pully removal need help

tecumseh engine swap and pully removal need help

Ok so I bought an 80s argo and drove the Tecumseh oh 160 (170078b) till it died. ... so I pulled it out an found a warped head so needles to say I am not going to rebuild it... I think I found a engine to swap into it the 18 hp Briggs and straten vanguard model # 356447 its a v twin and was wounder if any one has done this??? / what model is yours??? / what other mods do u have to do with this engine swap??? Also off the old tecumseh I tryed and failed to get the pully of the crank shaft help is there a trick so I don't break it??? / the reson I want it off not just to use it is to know what size it is so I dont buy the wrong engine... any help would be great thanks

Just make sure the Briggs has a 1" keyed crankshaft. The Tecumseh and Briggs Vanguard bolt pattern is exactly the same so it will bolt right in without any drilling. It will be a very good engine swap and shouldn't be very difficult. Hook up some new wiring and then find the proper exhaust and you'll be set. Take a look at Home - Small Engine Warehouse for exhausts for the Vanguard.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The tec should have a 1 inch shaft. Filling in the crank bore of clutch with clutch facing up with good penetrant helps. PB blaster or aero kroil are some good ones. Be very carefull not to pry on the sheaves of the clutch there usually aluminum. When I have a very tough one and I'm not using the crankshaft I saw them off and set clutch in a press. Look in the end of clutch and verify there is a key visible. I've not seen a tec with screwed on clutch but Argo Koehler 18s had threaded clutches. If you see no key , bolt the head back on with a handful of rope in the cylinder and turn clutch counterclockwise to remove. You will need a center out muffler for the Briggs. Also get governor spring #691507 to replace whatever comes with the engine. Somebody may have a Briggs muffler for the Argo. Good luck with project.

Ok thanks for the help got the engine amd muffler or one that I can cut / modify but for the life of me I can not get the clutch /pully off the 1 inch keyed shaft for that matter I can get the key out only thing I have not tryed is cutting it apart would that be a harden shaft would a saws all do ???

OK so I got the pully off with a little bit of love and hitting the hell out of it put it on the new engine went on so nice... added am remote oil filter kit to it and extended the ignition key wires then test fit the unit to find out if I but it in the old engine holes the belt looks like its on a good slant... moved it over one hole tell the belt looks straight but that mean making new holes so the question is should it be straight aligned with the trany ?? And can I just move it over with out fulling in the old holes??? Pics would be lovely

Quote Originally Posted by dougneal84 View Post
    OK so I got the pully off with a little bit of love and hitting the hell out of it put it on the new engine went on so nice... added am remote oil filter kit to it and extended the ignition key wires then test fit the unit to find out if I but it in the old engine holes the belt looks like its on a good slant... moved it over one hole tell the belt looks straight but that mean making new holes so the question is should it be straight aligned with the trany ?? And can I just move it over with out fulling in the old holes??? Pics would be lovely
    Did you have to cut out anything on the upper shell for the Vanguard to fit?

Hello do you still have the old oh 160 tec engine iam looking for engine's for part's ? thank's

+ Reply to Thread