homemade tracks question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: homemade tracks question

so far in turns they seem to stay on but like i said i was only out for about a half hour this afternoon in between rain showers. i'm guessing it will be harder on the bearings and the machine overall since I'm turning a bigger footprint but on the flip side i have less weight per square inch of footprint so your guess is as good as mine. i put in a lot of work on those and i wanted them to work well. i just hope they last. i thought of getting a bend into them to have the belting off the ground like yours if i'm understanding you right but i'm not equipped to bend steel yet. Maybe in my 2.0 version i will bend them. So far it seemed to work well with the full 14 inches on the ground but time will tell. I'm really interested in your design because i want to make a setup with the extra belting i have now to make snow extentions ;P ...always a new project before finishing the last one
    Sa passe ou sa casse!!!!

martz, i would leave them just the way you have them and run awhile to get good testing. i don't think you need to bend them, let the full 14'' stay on the ground. later for snow exstensions, just cut pieces of angle long enough to bolt to your existing belts width plus how wide a new belt will be (say 2''). then just drill 2 holes on each end of the angle, bolt to your track belt right in front or back of the angles, then bolt the exstension belts to that. you can easily remove them whenever you want. johnboy va.

i was considering using flatbar to connect to the existing belting on the tracks. mount the flatbar to the extentions and pre-drill holes in the tracks. Simply bolt on to the tracks when winter comes around. I'd only be looking at about an hour to bolt them all on which isn't too bad
    Sa passe ou sa casse!!!!

martz, i am not sure flatbar would'nt bend unless it was maybe 1/4'' thick. if it is not too costly use 3/4'' aluminum angle.lighter weight. also i think you only may need to add them at every other angle piece on the main track. i almost finished my first half track mod today. need a couple of more bolts. i will get a picture soon. it is nice connecting with other members who have the same interests . we are enjoying sharing our homebuilt track projects. too bad we don't live close by. johnboy va.

very cool! Since you have a flat track...Opening up the middle will help it clean out in the mud, but it also makes it possible for the guide-tips to move more easily when the belting is at ground level. Your traction cleats (and therfore the guide tips) can more easily be tilted or folded over as there is less belt width for them to be secured to. This is okay, but if you're up for doing some more tedious and repetetive work, you might consider using some aluminum flatbar (2" height, chopped to the correct width) laid flat and bolted under your guides to give them a little wider platform. It might help to keep them from tilting over so easily. It's about all you can do other than make the track belting tighter.
    There should be enough daylight under the outer edges of your tires to accomodate the guides being raised up 1/8" or so if you want to add this extra platform.
    And of course, miter the edges of your angle iron the best that you can.
    If you did find a way to reliably bend your cleats up on the edges (equally) - to raise the belt - You might affect the guides (location and angle). I think it might be a big pain in the butt also because- belting likes to stay horizontal when wrapping anything. It might be forced to ripple up as it wrapped the end-tires. At any rate I like it, and thans a bunch for posting and sharing, you've done a lot of work! I hope that made some sense.
    I agree that aluminum angle is best for winter-kit style add-on.
    Last edited by Buzz; 05-11-2014 at 02:56 AM.

i need it to climb out of mudholes and up riverbanks without having to winch myself up all the time. its mostly swamp (beaver dams) and fields with a little bit of bush trails. I went to see the road that leads to the beach and well the picture pretty much sums it up
    Attached Images
    Sa passe ou sa casse!!!!

That would be a motorway (freeway ?) in some parts (most) of Australia

Oh that's not the trail, that's the road. it's funny because my gf says she is from the country because she grew up on a farm. I'm a bushman and we were arguing on if it was a road or a trail we were driving on. I'll take pictures of the trail when I go next weekend. the neighbors have a brand new quad they don't want to get wet so i'm gonna make them a bridge this weekend
    Sa passe ou sa casse!!!!

martz, well i finished my modified half track today. made a run down in my swamp, had to come back and do alittle tweeking. went back to the mud slop section and they seemed o.k. you sure find out all the technical things when you make your own tracks. all the guides have to be parallel to each other. also when i weld the angle iron extensions on each side of the guides, i did'nt get them exactly the same on each side, so the belts don't track exactly the same. it seems o.k. cause the belt flexes. also because the side belts are a little lower than the main belt, they ripple when going around the tire. but that seems o.k. too. i may still just remove the center belt. want to ride more, see how it holds up. atleast when i modify the second one i will be sure to be more precise. if you look in the track section under homemade half track, there still may be a picture before i added the side belts. will take new picture when i know they work . johnboy va.

sounds good i will try and look that up. I really want to see your setup. I think i have a pretty good idea of how you have it done but a picture is worth a thousand words as they say. I'm going on thursday to build a bridge over that little creek for my quad driving friends haha. Should have some feedback on how well the tracks work.
    Sa passe ou sa casse!!!!

+ Reply to Thread