homemade tracks question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: homemade tracks question

A flat track (especially one with great traction), can really be chore to turn. The wider your contact patch, the harder it becomes. Some of that can be overcome with power and technique, but you have to be careful as sometimes the guide tips can move and have a hard time keeping the tires in the right spot...the track wants to stay put while the machine wants to drive. It can be compounded when you're on really uneven ground.
    People have given me input..and have suggested avoiding turning uphill when in sticky terrain...or instead back-down while turning to re-orient your nose uphill..instead of turning uphill in the forward direction. I know that works during steep climbs where your machine cannot drag one side and climb at the same time. So you just drive past the turning point, then reverse downhill to orient yourself in the right direction before going forward again. Taller, stiffer guides might help you, but there are certain conditions that are going to be challenging with a flat-track that has so much bite. It would be interesting to see the videos.

hey guys, went out and rode around this afternoon again with my half tracks on my max. so far, very happy with the results. i crawled thru some soupy mud easily without as much effort or spinning as would have been with just tires. they turn easily on the grass also. did'nt feel like either one was going to come off. i watched each track as i drove thru the mud. the one i cut the squares out of on the center belt did seem to let out more mud and water between the tire and belt. was hard to tell if the open or closed side got any better traction. i like the open better because as buzz said the tire grips the grouser better and less chance of the tire spinning on the muddy belt. they sure seem simpler than full tracks. will keep testing. ruth was going to take pictures when she got home but was tired. will get good closeups of the design in the next couple day's. wish i lived a few miles from busco so i could run over and really give them a workout. johnboy va.

Just found this youtube video on someone making their rubber tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P64mbTZ8ACk

looks like they removed it, too bad, informative video

+ Reply to Thread