New to the forum

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

New to the forum

Hi everyone, I inherited a ST/300/D that had not been running in over 20 years. My buddy and I found parts and info. on the Internet but somehow I didn't find 6X6World until now. Well, we got the engine/trans/running gear up and running. But the tires/wheels were all shot. Because of the expense of converting over to ATV wheel/tires, we just parked it 3 years ago. Well, now that I have found this forum.,I'm energized again to finish it up and get new wheels and tires for it. That said, I have some questions.

1) where is the best place to buy the wheels and tires and adapter to convert to ATV?

2) the engine that is in this machine is a two cylinder 440 two stroke. I suspect at sometime in its past, the original engine was removed and replaced with this one. Does this seem correct?

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images

You can find a template on this site to make the adapters yourself, or quite possibly someone here has a set they'd sell you. You can try an ad in the "wanted" section.

The ST300D had a JLO Rockwell single in it from the factory. That 440 will make it scream- be careful.

Good Luck, and welcome to the site!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Here is a recent thread on wheels and tires JP listed a source in it for your adapters. I need them also

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...tml#post168393

Clean machine you have there, I would like to see how that 440 runs, I have a 400 in mine and it screams also.

Welcome

Thank you all for your replies. In my digging around here in the forum I see discussion over whether to use a 4 or 5 lug bolt pattern. Our use of the machine is strictly recreational/hobby. However, I have a 440 engine in it. Also, for the most part, we will be operating it on mostly hard surface dirt and light sand. (Don't see us using it in water except for the novelty of it). This being considered which lug pattern do you think would work best for me? Would choosing one pattern over the other limit my wheel/tire options and availability?

Quote Originally Posted by 22howard View Post
    Thank you all for your replies. In my digging around here in the forum I see discussion over whether to use a 4 or 5 lug bolt pattern. Our use of the machine is strictly recreational/hobby. However, I have a 440 engine in it. Also, for the most part, we will be operating it on mostly hard surface dirt and light sand. (Don't see us using it in water except for the novelty of it). This being considered which lug pattern do you think would work best for me? Would choosing one pattern over the other limit my wheel/tire options and availability?
    The Goodyear Rawhide style tread pattern is the most common for all around good performance for an AATV....unfortunately they're discontinued, so you'll have to go with the Carlisles.

Carlisle AT101 Chevron Tires 599044 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at PowerSports Place
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by 22howard View Post
    The four lug will work fine, and it gives you more wheel options. And like Don said, be careful that thing will fly.

I'm about ready to pop for a set of adapters/wheels/tires. This said, here are my questions.

1) ADAPTER BOLT PATTERN - Which bolt pattern should I choose (4 or 5) and why? The adapter and wheel that has been recommended here (previous posts) is the 5 bolt pattern. However, when I talk to the supplier, they tell me the 5 bolt is more for a "trailer" tire and not specifically an ATV tire. I guess it really won't matter much so long as I get the right wheel for the tire dimensions (20/21-10/11-8) that I need. Is my thinking correct?

2) TIRE SELECTION - The Carlisle tire that was recommended to me in previous posts here is a 21-11-8. I do not particularly like the tread pattern on this tire and assume that I can hunt for another tire/tread pattern as long as it does not exceed 21 in height, 11 in width, and of course 8. Without any practical operating experience with this machine yet, I assume I would not want to go any taller that 21. Is my thinking correct here?

Disclaimer - I know there are MANY threads here in 6X6 of newbies with these same questions. I have tried to read and glean the information from them without bothering any of you with these probably rudimentary questions. However, somehow it wasn't soaking in with me. Thank you for your input and patience in this regard.

Scott
    Last edited by 22howard; 05-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.

1) I would say the 5 lug only because I'm not sure if the 4 lug wheels have a "bead lock" on them. I know all my 5 lug wheels do and the Rec wheels do seem to have some sort of "bead lock".
    2) I run the carlisle tires on my attex and love them. They are great in the mud, snow, dirt and sand. They also swim great. 21 is about the max for and attex without forming the tub or the tire rubbing.

Attex

Hey 22howard
    Im just finnishing a complete rebuild of an Attex. I took out tne two stroke and stuffed in a 4. Im just outside of Reno Nv. If you ever get up this way lets ride.
    I live near Moon rocks. There are some nice trails there.

Again, thanks to all for your information and help. After spending the morning on-line searching and researching, I decided I had better go with the suggestions you all have made. So, for all six drives, I purchased the 3 to 5 lug adapter, wheels, and Carlisle 21x11x8 tires. They should arrive sometime next week. I look forward to getting her up and running. Thanks again for your help thus far.

+ Reply to Thread