Michigan riders

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Michigan riders

Michigan riders

Helo lokking for places to ride in Mi fromVassar which is in the thumb area and I heard about the mounds which I believe is near me but I have never been to looking forward to hearing from other michiganders.

I am from the westside of michigam [muskegon] and so far as I know at this point all the trails around here have width restrictions.I think there around
    50" I am checking to see if there are any places around here to ride Possible silver lake state park in the dunes but that would be very crowded
    TLP

Hey there
    I am from near Kalamazoo. I really want to plan a trip to the mounds when I get some time. Ive been there im my truck but never an atv or aatv. But would be sweet in. I have also been to the state trails near Baldwin on misc atc's, atv's and beefed up gokarts but never in the attex. It would be ok in an aatv but not as fun as The Mounds. And there is also Silver Lake which I have only been to once in my old dunebuggy which I traded away for my first running aatv. It would be fun in an aatv. There are hills but also some swamp like features in a part and also a pond the jeeps and hummers get stuck in. Most of my riding is at my parents house which has a creek and a ponds and woods and field. Great blend of everything. Anyone is welcome to ride there so if you would like to pm me.
    That about covers everything I know of in Michigan. Nothing really that close to me but the mounds is pretty close to you. I would give it a try.
    Larry

Those state trails near Baldwin do have both regulated 50" and non regulated trails. The 50" or less trails suck on even a little Yamaha blaster because they are heavily rode on by bikes. It is severally eroded making it have a 4" to 1 foot banks on both side of the little trail. Really hard on the sidewalls and rims and brothers gf had a stick puncture her sidewall. We mainly rode on the non regulated trail which is more like a sand dragstrip with curves and stuff and would probably get old on an aatv.

michigan rides

Hi guys.
    I live in Petersburg , down by Toledo, in the southeastern part of michigan. I have been to the Mounds. That would be a better place to ride a 6-8 wheel aatv. Don't try to go to Silver Lake. AATV's are not suited for the sand. You would be very disappointed as I doubt you would even be able to clear the access road. The problem is aatv's don't have enough wheel speed to go in deep sand. I have run my MaxII in deep sand at another off road park and spent a lot of time digging or getting towed out. You'll find that these aatv's will sink into the sand, just like trying to run deep snow. Don't know if tracks would make a difference. The only exception to this would be the older 2-stoke aatv's. They have a lot more speed and may do better. However the newer generation 4-strokes won't work.
    Bob

Art here,
    I live about 11 miles from "The Mounds". I enjoy going there, especially when I can pull right up to a stuck Quad or 4x4 pickup/jeep! Those guys have a lot more tied up in thier machines than I do in my Argo Conquest 8x8. It is factory, except for a new winch.
    I have not gone in over a year as I have several acres to play on at home thanks to neighbors allowing me on thier property. I plow the shoulders of our road & about 15 driveways when it snows & that has allowed me this opportunity to explore more without the time it takes to load up the Argo on the trailer, then, after the play-time at "The Mounds", repeat the process to get home.
    That being said, I would go back again, IF I had several fellow AATV owners co-ordinate a 1 or 2 day ride at The Mounds. So, let's see what response this generates!! I can check local hotel/motel & restaurant locations, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by REELLS View Post
    Hi guys.
    AATV's are not suited for the sand. The problem is aatv's don't have enough wheel speed to go in deep sand. I have run my MaxII in deep sand at another off road park and spent a lot of time digging or getting towed out. You'll find that these aatv's will sink into the sand, The only exception to this would be the older 2-stoke aatv's. They have a lot more speed and may do better. However the newer generation 4-strokes won't work.
    I have to agree with Bob. I've been going to the Imperial Sand Dunes in CA for 30 years. About 10 years ago I took my Max II with a 400JLO there & it was absolutely worthless on the dunes. All I could do was ride it around camp. You need gobs of HP to spin the wheels in that kind of sand. The Yellow Spider runs great, but I know it would never make it up any one of the big dunes. The only time you might get somewhere is right after a good rain & the sand is packed hard. A sand wash is much different from a sand dune. No comparison.
    Been there, Done it.

Whipper

Interested

I would be interested in going to the mounds somtime. Although I have about 90 acres of mud, swamp, sand and the Cass river to ride at I would also like to try new places. The front of my property used to be a sand pit my Argo has no trouble with this thpe of sand.

The County Parks & Rec. has a fair web site. go to : "The Mounds" on most search engines & you should be able to see a map of the grounds. It it part of the Genesee County Parks & Rec. system. Only on of it's kind for several miles (50-70 mi. radius). ONLY off-road allowed!!

I would be interested in a one day ride at the mounds,What is a good time of the year, day of the week, to do some thing like this? Can you reserve a day there?
    Kevin Hough
    TREBMASTER
    (____>
    .OOO

+ Reply to Thread