Buying used tracks - dilemma on which ones to choose.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying used tracks - dilemma on which ones to choose.

Buying used tracks - dilemma on which ones to choose.

Hi All,
    Been looking for tracks ever since selling my 20" Rubber Bolducs earlier this yr, and came across 2 sets that peaked my interest,
    1, a set of escargo tracks for $1600 but for the 24"x10-8 and he's willing to sell the 24's and all the hardware for the tracks for another $1400 for a $3000 total price or
    2, set of chanel tracks for my 25x11.5-9 for $1800,
    The escargo tracks sound great, but I already have 2 full extra sets of tires for my avenger, not sure if I really want to buy another complete set, but then again they are supposed to be unstoppable.
    I already have track tuners, I'm just curious as to what you guys would decide.
    Thanks
    Dean

I think you just opened another can of worms again (this has been discussed in great detail about which track is better). I think you should do some research, watch a lot of vids, read the pros and cons of each track and then decide what you need the tracks for. All tracks have pros and cons and everyone will say their track is the best. The best track for you is the track that suits your needs/terrain best.

Hope this helps some.
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

Well said guy fox
    Since you have owned a nice set of rubber tracks. And it looks like you're thinking of trying something different. Both these tracks give you a nice gear reduction for pulling heavy loads. And they are both good, tough and reliable. What are you using the tracks for Mud?? Snow??
    I am using the chanel track and find them to be suitable for my use in deep snow. Do not let anybody tell you that with a set of tracks you can go anywhere that is just not so. All have there pros and cons . I went with the chanel for many reasons, One cost, two, they are very tough and fool proof, A very nice simple designed.
    I also went with a flatter style tire then the more rounded argo tire to get a nice snug fit between the crosser and tire. Some say its over kill, but i cannot have any problems when I'm am way back in the mountains and there is no cell coverage. It would be a very long snowshoe out. As for tires, I now have 16 new and still have the old runamucks. I am using the kenda dominator tire for the tracks. And the new Maxxis snow tires and runamucks are collecting dust in the shop. I will not be using them. They all came with the conquest when I bought it.
    The escargo track does have a little taller crosser that may give you a little more bit. But ether way you go, your getting a good strong track And if its set up right you will be very happy with the results. As for the floatation of the track over the flat rubber track. I did not notice any difference going from the argo 18 inch plastic track to the chanel track.
    The biggest difference was in the tuning ability of the argo. It was like giving it power steering when we went to the raised belt style track. Turning in deep ruts was almost impossible with the flat plastic track. Now she will turn and climb rite out of all ruts and Xditches I've put it in. Just one more note In snow do not spin the track they dig down very fast and you will find yourself high centred. Just go slow and easy and let the argo find its own speed to travel http://youtu.be/v885PubARp0

Thanks OldTucker,
    Our moose cabin in Quebec is in the Senneterre region, 16km down river, It's no fun pulling the aluminum 14ft boat back along the shoreline from the cabin to the boat launch after the motor crapped out, luckily we spent the night in one of the abandoned cabins along the route but when the motor crapped out a week later (luckily the back up motor worked fine) decided it was time to find another way in, noticed the local snowmobile trail runs less than 1km from the cabin, so it should be a easier journey (I hope) but after seeing RD's videos I would prefer having tracks before exploring this route. The only snow riding I do is up in Laforge 1 (LA1) 22B for the caribou hunt, after 2 guys broke though on their sleds and had to get airlifted to the other side we took a break from the caribou hunt and might just stick to the main land instead of venturing deeper across the lakes.
    I've read the threads on tracks multiple times, was just wondering if it's worth spending the extra $1400 for the 24" tires/rims for the escargo, or just get the chanel tracks and keep the 25" rawhides

I would suggest that you go and explore the route without tracks, and then, along with some research, you may be able to decide what tracks are right for you. I ran through all those same trails without tracks for years, then I started experimenting with different track styles (6 different track styles to be exact), before deciding which style worked best for me.

RD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Doctor View Post
    I would suggest that you go and explore the route without tracks, and then, along with some research, you may be able to decide what tracks are right for you. I ran through all those same trails without tracks for years, then I started experimenting with different track styles (6 different track styles to be exact), before deciding which style worked best for me.

RD
    6 different sytle of tracks.....wow...were you lucky enough to have a sponsor or did you have to buy the tracks? Either way I am sure that you had fun in the trial.

Would you be able to say what tracks you trialed and the pros and cons of each style?
    Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.
    —Will Rogers

It sounds like your riding terrain is a lot deferent then mine. Your more like RDs I have to look very hard to find even a mud puddle. Our trails go up or down theres no in between.
    As for the tires, I would save the $1400 get the chanel and maybe think about the Hd axles and bearings. If your machine does not have them already. That way you will have one tough unit to play with.

Never thought of the HD axle/bearing upgrade, will look into that, thanks for the heads up

I do not know about your axles, but the older conquest stock axles are weak on the flange. They are a two piece flange welded to the axle and they brake off the axle end. Leaving you stuck out on the trail when you would rather be at home with a cold beer. The HD up grade axle flange is one piece like a car axle. And you will not brake it. The outer bearings are bigger also and come with a good Hd flange. If you want you can just replace the axles and use your old bearings, or bit the bullet and do all.
    Adair sales can help you out on that. If you are running tracks its well worth the $$ to up grade. the light argo plastic tracks are not much of a problem. But when you get into a bigger track then you are working the axle flanges a lot more.
    Just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by guyfox View Post
    6 different sytle of tracks.....wow...were you lucky enough to have a sponsor or did you have to buy the tracks? Either way I am sure that you had fun in the trial.

Would you be able to say what tracks you trialed and the pros and cons of each style?
    Maybe in another thread we could go into details, but don't want to sidetrack this one. I've tried the STD Tracks, Supertracks, Narrow rubber Tracks, Wide Rubber Tracks, Chained Adair's and Adair Pro's.

In response to Old Tuckers comment about the HD Bearings:
    I now know several people around here that are seriously considering switching back to the old outer bearings systems. The general concensus seems to be that the HDI's are not better in the very wet, sandy, silty conditions we are riding in. Personally, I'm still on the fence.............I do like the new HDI Systems, but have not really seen an increase in overall bearing life.
    How are you finding them? Have you had to change one out yet?
    I thinkk I've redone 5 on my Conquest, 2 were due to the Inner Race of the HDI Bearing spinning on the Axle Shaft, and 2 were due to Sloppy Outer Bearing Carrier Fit. Only one was because the actual bearing failed. Have repalced several in friends HDI's as well (One friend just did 4 of his last weekend)

I've only ever broke the Flange off one Stock Conquest Axle, and that was running very heavy in the winter with Supertracks on. I am slowly changing over to the new style though, have one installed and one spare ready to go.

RD

+ Reply to Thread