Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

These engines in a JD 430 or F-935/F-915 were rated 20-22hp, and 35-37ft.lbs. of torques. Should be OK. No plans for a turbo yet.

The speed on a thermoking is somewhere around 1800-2200rpm. Not a lot of adjustment. This engine in a JD tops at 3650rpm. That should be plenty fine for me. I am looking to get a governor from a F-935. That comes with the fuel shut off lever, as well as a full range throttle lever. I think the actual governor is different too, but the injection pump cam is the same. This is my first diesel that I'm working on, so there's a bit of learning to do.

Got all the rest of the reefer apart. In the truck, ready to go to the scrap yard Saturday morning. At this point, all I've done on the engine is to check to make sure the starter works. It does. The F935 governor assembly is on its way. Hope to get a bit more done in the coming week.

Accomplished a bit so far this weekend. Took the scrap away, made $351!!!! Woot!! Started tearing into the beast. Got 7 of the wheels off. One wheel has some water in it. The 20" I was gonna use as a spare has a hole the size of a fist torn in it. The rest are all 22", and some of them are looking a little sketchy. One or two are getting badly cracked. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a deal on some used ones. The front right wheel didn't come off because the studs spin in the hub. Yes, all five of them. A bunch of other studs are slightly loose, so I'm thinking that I will just replace them all, and get all new lug nuts. Anyway, some pictures for you guys.

I measured things up again, the diesel will fit in there without making a hood extension. Even with the monstrous oil pan! I did a bit of looking on eBay and found a few small radiators. The original one for a 430 and F935 is about 14" x 17". The radiators I found are 7" x 14". So, I was thinking I can stack two of them and get roughly the same amount of cooling. I will put two 7" reversible fans on them, and it will all fit in the heat outlet area in the hood. Should work out alright. Will take a bit for the stuff to come in, but in that time I still have the rest to do.

Worked most of the afternoon today, as its a holiday Monday up here in the north. Got another axle out, then decided the front axles would be soooooo much easier if the engine was out first. So, took steel ring off, drilled all the rivets out and split the shell. Unbolted engine and pulled it out. That's about as far as I got before the wifey called me home for dinner.

Pics:

After looking at the parts manual, and thinking about it for a bit, why would my rig have three bearings on the front and rear axles? There is an inboard one, one on the inside of the shell, and then the one in the end of the aluminum housing. Seems a little silly to have three bearings on a shaft. The parts manual says that there is only supposed to be the inboard one, and the one in the end of the aluminum housing. Any thoughts?

looking damn good keep the updates coming...

Btw...whats that torched off plate in the one picture at end of tub?

Can't speak to bearings...know less than you about argo except they are aatv's lol
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

I assume that you mean at the front of the frame, not the winch mount. It just kinda looks that way. It's where the power pack plate mounts in.

OK, done a bit more tearing. Found out a few things. The aluminum holders on the back axles were added by a previous owner. There was three bearings only on the rear axles. Whoever added the aluminum bits just left the original outer bearing stuff. Aldo, since the frame wasn't set up for the aluminum holders, the threads aren't there, or the round tube like at the front. So, the furthest to the rear bolt is just siliconed shut because it would be right in line with the rear part of the frame. Not a bad job really, I guess. But, should not have left that third bearing. From my experience, three bearings is not better than two.

As well, the axles on the right side are newer style, with the 1" inner bearings and thrust washers. Boy, are these a pain to get out!!! Whoever put them in put the bearings in backwards, so the set screws are inside the C channel. They didn't use antiseize, so now they don't come out easy at all. I have to fabricate a beating block so I can pound them out with a sledge. Not fun. But, I like this design better. Will be machining down the other axles and tapping the ends for bolt and thrust washers.

Not much on the diesel yet. EBay tracking says governor should show up sept 11. Hope so. Very close to ordering radiators and fans. Just gotta measure a few things first.

I'm excited to take that first drive when its all done. Will make all the work worth while.

Surprise!!! Governor came in today!! Compared to the one on the engine, looks like it will fit right up! Woohoo!

Made my axle pounding block as well. Too bad I won't be around all weekend to do anything on the rig. Wife wants to go to a cottage and drink our faces off.....

Success! All axles, shafts and bearings are out! Gas tank is out. Seat frame is out. Only thing left is bearing carriers and hitch bolts, then the frame comes out! Woohoo! Calling it good enough for the night. Gonna grab a pumpkin spice from Timmie's, and pick up the wifey. Tomorrow should see the frame out, and in the truck to go get pressure washed and degreased. Woohoo!

+ Reply to Thread