Thought this would probably be the place to put this post. I bought a machine that needs a fair amount of work. All axle bearings and seals, just to start with. But, the engine (Kohler M18) hasn't been taken care of properly. There is just over 1000 hours on it, and it smokes like is a 2 stroke, and has a lack of power. The guy I got it from said its just stuck rings from sitting for a long time. I tend not to believe him.

So, to the point of the story. I've been looking around for different options, and found a guy that sells off old thermoking reefers. So I paid him a visit yesterday. He has one that has a yanmar 3 cylinder that's rated around 20hp. Perfect! Its physically smaller than the magnum, so it will fit in no problem. I figure I can sell, or scrap the rest of the reefer to get back a bit of money and have a pretty cheap option for repower. That, and I love little yanmars!!

So, my question to the masses is, does anyone know any information on doing this, before I get my arms greasy up to my elbows? Engine is a TK3.88S. TK= thermoking, 3= 3 cyl, .88= .879 litres displacement, and I don't know what the "S" means. From what I've found, these do have the "throttle" lever on the side of the injector pump, just need to take off the solenoid that controls it. Its likely governed at 2200rpm, so that will need to be turned up. Other than that, its just gonna be some fabricating, and drinking a few beers.

Any input (good or bad) is very welcome!

Rudy