Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

Diesel in a Magnum 8x8

Thought this would probably be the place to put this post. I bought a machine that needs a fair amount of work. All axle bearings and seals, just to start with. But, the engine (Kohler M18) hasn't been taken care of properly. There is just over 1000 hours on it, and it smokes like is a 2 stroke, and has a lack of power. The guy I got it from said its just stuck rings from sitting for a long time. I tend not to believe him.

So, to the point of the story. I've been looking around for different options, and found a guy that sells off old thermoking reefers. So I paid him a visit yesterday. He has one that has a yanmar 3 cylinder that's rated around 20hp. Perfect! Its physically smaller than the magnum, so it will fit in no problem. I figure I can sell, or scrap the rest of the reefer to get back a bit of money and have a pretty cheap option for repower. That, and I love little yanmars!!

So, my question to the masses is, does anyone know any information on doing this, before I get my arms greasy up to my elbows? Engine is a TK3.88S. TK= thermoking, 3= 3 cyl, .88= .879 litres displacement, and I don't know what the "S" means. From what I've found, these do have the "throttle" lever on the side of the injector pump, just need to take off the solenoid that controls it. Its likely governed at 2200rpm, so that will need to be turned up. Other than that, its just gonna be some fabricating, and drinking a few beers.

Any input (good or bad) is very welcome!

Rudy

Have done a bit of research in the last few days. Found an actual manual for a TK3.88. From what is in there, I figure it will have all the adjustments needed to turn up the speed. I compared the pictures in the manual to the yanmar in my 332 lawnmower, and the only thing different is that it does not have the fuel shut off arm. I would imagine that would be controlled by the throttle arm. It has the same Bosch injection pump, with the same setup for the fuel control rack. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work.

I have sent an email to a local refer transport company to see if I can get one a little cheaper. The price of free is always best. The ones I looked at on Saturday were gonna be $750. But, I could recoup some of the cost by selling off or scrapping the rest of the unit. We shall see. Will keep you guy posted as I figure more stuff out.

I've gotta say there are a few diesel swaps that have been done and shown here. I'd do it if I was you, as I just did a 2cyl 670cc Kubota in my Muscateer. You can check out my thread in other AATV section.

The PTO side of things and the clutching could be an issue. You may want to investigate if you can run it up to 3600 or so RPM safely.

Compared to the 12hp I had there is night and day difference.

Good luck and post lots of pictures
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

A little more looking around and I came up with that a 3TNA72 is the same 879cc engine as the TK3.88. Good to know, as they were a VERY common engine in John Deeres and other machines. Found a complete governor assembly for not a bad price.

Riotwarrior, if I can convince the wife that this is the way to go, I'll have that reefer in the truck the next day and be doing heart surgery. Will keep you guys up to date.

Wifey said that she trusts my decisions on this matter. Took some explaining, but I think that is the green light! Woot!!! Looks like there will be another diesel project going on here!

I beefed up my ramps last night. They're rated for 1000lbs, from princess auto, so not the best of quality. We bent them loading the machine last time. So, I bent them straight and put some reinforcements in. Will need the extra strength. The yanmar is 100 lbs heavier, apparently.

Sounds great..

BTW, seeing you said PRINCESS AUTO...not Harbour Freight...Where bouts you located.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

I'm just outside of Kitchener, Ontario (birthplace of the Argo!).

Ahh...nice, out here in BC in or near the only Desert in Canada gets warm here in summer ugh...we had 107 deg in shade a few weeks ago....ugh!

Hey NEED pictures this thread is useless without them !!!!! LOL
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

What is the proper way of posting pics around here? Don't have too many pics yet. Machine is at my buddy's place. Would be here, but selling our place, and can't have it all ripped apart here. We are set to start (hopefully) this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    What is the proper way of posting pics around here? Don't have too many pics yet. Machine is at my buddy's place. Would be here, but selling our place, and can't have it all ripped apart here. We are set to start (hopefully) this weekend.
    Wel there is an instructional on here somewhere, however I just upload my images to Photobucket and some album I created, then copy the IMG code from the picture into the thread and you get FULL size images not postage stamp sized ones ...

I like big pictures myself.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

+ Reply to Thread